PDA

View Full Version : Imaging a partition on SATA HDD

cajetan
17-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi am interested in purchasing a copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 but I would like to know if it will work with these specs.
Am a bit concern with the nForce M/B and the SATA drive
There seems to be a mixture of responses on the net re the product.

Foxconn Winfast NF4UK8AA-8EKRS nForce4 ultra
AMD K8 Athlon64 3500+ Socket 939 Venice Core
1XSeagate 160Gb 7200rpm 8 mb Cache NCQ Serial ATA-partiitioned with Partition Magic.
Gigabyte GA-NX66T128VP GeForce 6600GT VIVO TurboForce PCI Expres
Foxconn ATX326 Midi Tower 11-1 Card Reader Hyena 500W front USB2.0 case fan PCI-E hole
LiteOn SOHW-1673S Dual Layer 16x
TwinMOS 1GB DDR400 Dual-Channel Kit (2x512MB)

Anyone out there used this program with a partitioned SATA HDD? by the way tried using ghost2003 froze the PC. Cannot be bothered with all the talk about adding switches etc.

pctek
17-07-2005, 04:09 PM
From theur website.

"When Acronis True Image is running under Windows, then it works with all the hard disk drives detected by the operating system. If Acronis True Image is running in rescue mode (e.g. to restore the system partition), then the following RAID controllers are supported:

- P-ATA (IDE) RAID controllers (Promise, Highpoint)
- Most of SCSI RAID controllers (Adaptec, Dell, LSI and others)
- SATA RAID controllers (Highpoint, Intel, Promise, Silicon Image, VIA)

Some other RAID controllers may be supported as well, although we have not tested them yet, and the others will be supported with the future updates."

In my opinion: Wait for version 9.

cajetan
17-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Thks dude look on their site but missed that bit.

Any suggestions on what program would be good to use if i want to do an image of a partition? Is Ghost2003 with the switches really all we have to play with?

pctek
17-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Thks dude look on their site but missed that bit.

Any suggestions on what program would be good to use if i want to do an image of a partition? Is Ghost2003 with the switches really all we have to play with?
If you find one, let me know. :(

cajetan
18-07-2005, 01:14 AM
that hard huh? bummer........oki send your e-add to cajetan8@hotmail.com i'll tell u if i ever find anything

Laura
18-07-2005, 11:07 AM
cajetan:
Posting your email address in a public thread opens your door to the spambots crawling the net - and PF1.
Better to use the Private Message facility to send it to another forum member.
And maybe ask the Mods to delete the addy?

cajetan
18-07-2005, 12:15 PM
oops thks it's not too bad its my disposable email account but i'll remember anyway

pctek
18-07-2005, 09:59 PM
http://ghost.radified.com/ghost2_rad.pdf

Scroll down, near the bottom is a list of ALL the drive imaging programs. Don't ask me whats best for sATA though.

cajetan
19-07-2005, 07:05 PM
ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE 8 truly works!!!!! have created an image and restored it without any problems at all!

pctek
19-07-2005, 08:12 PM
ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE 8 truly works!!!!! have created an image and restored it without any problems at all!
I wonder if half the problems is due to the MB - the sATA support in the BIOS.
I've read heaps of forums lately where all the different ones are mentioned - some people have no probs, some do. Some people are using Ghost 2003 OK.
So who knows....Whats the sATA support in your BIOS like? You don't have to use th F6 driver on floppy business to install windows do you?

cajetan
20-07-2005, 05:23 AM
errr F6 no nothing like that....... but the trial version of ACronis TI works! u r right about the MB and SATA thing some will some wont. the answer i got from Acronis was that to try the trial version, even they don't know! But now i have a new problem @#$@$!@#

pctek
20-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I think you should have tried Ghost with:
ghost.exe -noide

cajetan
21-07-2005, 08:56 AM
have been using ghost for the past 4 years and thought it was the best! BUT I have to admit that i was wrong Acronis TI 8 is much much better
-faster
-the bootable cdrom boots u into a gui environment (not like the ghost dos like interface much less scarier for newbies)
-only creates 1 file from 10GB to 4.5GB where as ghost would have made about 2-3 image files of 2GB each
-can do incremental backups of the image
SO in conclusion Ac TI is better. :thumbs:
hey did u c? u helped me out with my other problem about the bootable CDROM-thks again.