PDA

View Full Version : anti spyware programs

Mr_Rain313
16-07-2005, 06:43 PM
hi does anyone know some good anti spyware programs i havethe latest adaware but it doesnt work good so if anyone could tell me some good programs that would be great thnks.

Renmoo
16-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Have you try out CounterSpy (By Sunbelt), Microsoft's very own AntiSpyware and Spybot Search and Destroy? What is the adaware that you are running at the moment?

Cheers :)

pctek
16-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Adaware is best used with Spybot. Both together. Counterspy is excellent but not free. Also Hijackthis is another of my favourites but does not exactly remove spyware for you, rather it reports on things that may or may not be suspect and then you have the choice of selecting them for removal. But its extremely useful.

tweak'e
16-07-2005, 08:06 PM
adaware dosn't work good ??? HOW dosn't it work good? whats bad about it ?

i suspect you either have a very old version or something on your pc is faulty. fix the faults not hide them with another program.

memphis
16-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Go to www.download.com for free stuff.You should find something there. :)

Myth
16-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Personally I would recommend Sunbelt's Counterspy or Webroot's SpySweeper. I have found them to be better than the free ones (Spybot S&D [which I would recommend for a free one], MS Antispyware, AdAware etc)

Murray P
16-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I go along with Adaware & Spybot, Spyware Blaster too. The MS product is good, but does not protect most non-MS software such as Firefox.

<rant> One very troubling move by MS, has been the downgrading of Claria (Gator, Gaim, Netwallet) from serious threat status to something you can ignore. There is a couple of other companies Spyware that has been afforded the same status, but I can't remember which ones. Obviously money talks more than end users rights and privacy plus, the fact that MS is purchasing Claria (name changed from Gator in 2003).

In my opinion, this is one of the biggest stinkers of a number of stinks MS have come up with. The next one will be Intel's EF chip and MS Media Edition and, for some reason (I'm a cynic when it comes to these things), I have a sneeking suspicion that it is all linked (Claria has collected info on millions of PC users, will MS ignore the database??). So, MS Antispyware is now Spyware as far as I'm concerned. </end rant>

CorbinH
16-07-2005, 11:15 PM
i love ad-aware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr_Rain313
16-07-2005, 11:19 PM
nah adaware doesnt seem to take care of the problem and i have the latest 1 with latest downlaods for it but i will try the other ones thanks for your help

tweak'e
17-07-2005, 12:48 AM
whats the problem?

Mr_Rain313
17-07-2005, 02:04 AM
chronic pop ups but i got spy sweeper and it did the job so thanks every1

Bazman
17-07-2005, 04:15 AM
There are the free ones and then the many that you have to pay for after a trial version.
Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-aware personal(I think?) are the two most popular free ones. But I sometimes wonder if these two combined really do get rid of all spyware on your computer.
And ad-aware personal is still always a lighter version of the pro version. right?

Myth
17-07-2005, 11:08 AM
From my own personal experience, I find AdAware is nowhere near as good as Spybot S&D.
Spybot finds more spyware, and gets rid of them effectively, AdAware does a reasonable job, and on the very odd occassion will find something Spybot has missed.

I also tested MS Antispyware and SpySweeper at my course. They were blowing about how good MS Antispyware was, whereas I supported SpySweeper.
We ran them both on the same computer which we knew had spyware probs.
Installed one at a time, ran the test then uninstalled it. We did NOT clear problem files.

Results:
MS Antispyware (run second) found 0 problems
SpySweeper (run first, then third to clean the comp) found 30 problems (the same on both scans).
25 of those problems were cookies (which I know MS Antispyware does not look for).
The other 5 included Klez, and 4 others.

My tutor was highly disappointed with MS Antispyware as he had recently bought it.

We never got the chance to test more, I have heard that Counterspy is slightly better than SpySweeper though.

This test was run a month ago, under nonscientific conditions.
These tests were a spur of the moment thing, could be quite wrong, but this is just my experience :)

FoxyMX
17-07-2005, 12:17 PM
My tutor was highly disappointed with MS Antispyware as he had recently bought it.
Bought it?! I didn't realise that there was a paid version. :confused:

Cicero
17-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Bought it?! I didn't realise that there was a paid version. :confused:
There isn't.

Myth
17-07-2005, 12:55 PM
True, but thats what he said.
Maybe he meant gotten hold of it.

Greg
17-07-2005, 01:45 PM
A useful site for this kinda shizza is run by a mate of a mate in the USA:

http://temerc.com

It's a bit amateurish in design, but very comprehensive.

godfather
17-07-2005, 01:57 PM
The other 5 included Klez, and 4 others.

Klez is a Virus/Worm, not "spyware" or "adware".

It is not the job of adware/spyware programs to also deal with viruses, the fact that Klez was present perhaps indicates a less than effective or updated AntiVirus program, and not a shortcoming in the spyware program..

memphis
17-07-2005, 02:10 PM
I use Spybot S&D,Ad-aware,Spyware Blaster,Spyware Doctor,MS Antispyware.

All free and if one does not do the job I have the others to use.One will pick up something the other did not so its good to run them after each other to check everything is all clear. ;)

I also have AVG Free Edition (Anti-virues),Zone Alarm Free Edition (firewall).

I just update all of those every time before surfing the net,its just a habit now,and it helps to have the shortcuts on the desktop next to your internet browser so you dont forget. :2cents:

Myth
17-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Klez is a Virus/Worm, not "spyware" or "adware".

It is not the job of adware/spyware programs to also deal with viruses, the fact that Klez was present perhaps indicates a less than effective or updated AntiVirus program, and not a shortcoming in the spyware program..I realise Klez is a worm, I included it as a way of showing how comprehensive SpySweeper is.
BTW the other 4 were spyware, not viruses
Lets just say the antivirus they were using before that scan had quite a few shortcomings.
Got them to install Kaspersky after that, picked up heaps of viruses

vinref
17-07-2005, 03:03 PM
...We ran them both on the same computer which we knew had spyware probs...

Just out of plain old curiosity:

How can you tell whether spyware exists in a machine without an anti-spyware tool telling you so? That is, is there a way to determine spyware independent of anti-spyware tools? If all the anti-spyware tools you have tell you that a machine is clean, how confident are you of that?

How do anti-spyware tools identify spyware? Do they use a signature database like anti-virus tools, that must be constantly updated? Do they scan every file in the system, the registry etc?

Myth
17-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Just out of plain old curiosity:

How can you tell whether spyware exists in a machine without an anti-spyware tool telling you so? That is, is there a way to determine spyware independent of anti-spyware tools? If all the anti-spyware tools you have tell you that a machine is clean, how confident are you of that?

How do anti-spyware tools identify spyware? Do they use a signature database like anti-virus tools, that must be constantly updated? Do they scan every file in the system, the registry etc?
In the case of the computer we ran it on, the homepage had been hijacked, and there was an occassional non-windows, non-(knowingly)installed application popup

vinref
17-07-2005, 03:31 PM
In the case of the computer we ran it on, the homepage had been hijacked, and there was an occassional non-windows, non-(knowingly)installed application popup

Oh. I thought spyware was surreptitious and didn't make itself obvious by hijacking the homepage, installing stuff or slowing down the machine etc. Or at least that would be how I would design spyware if I was into that sort of stuff.

I was thinking more of keyloggers, cookie thieves, identity thieves etc.

Myth
17-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Oh. I thought spyware was surreptitious and didn't make itself obvious by hijacking the homepage, installing stuff or slowing down the machine etc. Or at least that would be how I would design spyware if I was into that sort of stuff.

I was thinking more of keyloggers, cookie thieves, identity thieves etc.I think they all get lumped under the topic of Spyware these days.

tweak'e
17-07-2005, 03:54 PM
chronic pop ups but i got spy sweeper and it did the job so thanks every1
what did it remove?

as far as any spyware program is better than its rivals goes......notice how noone seems to say what vers of the programs they have used, what was exactly was detected and removed. some antispyware programs remove just enough of the spyware to diable it, which means other programs will find the leftovers even tho the leftovers are harmless and in some cases can help stop a reinfection (the spyware thinks its still installed and won't reinstall).

PaulD
17-07-2005, 03:58 PM
The MS antispyware was originally created by a company called Giant. They had a paid version before MS bought them out.