PDA

View Full Version : Am I screwed?

pine-o-cleen
16-07-2005, 05:53 PM
I have been having some problems with my PC doing seemingly random restarts. I was chatting to a friend about it and he said maybe your BIOS needs updating. I downloaded a bios update from www.giga-byte.com and using @BIOS updated it. When updating a message came up saying something to the effect of the BIOS manufacturer is different, do you want to proceed. I clicked yes. The update finished and asked me to reboot. I clicked 'Yes', the computer shut down, but now it wont boot!

Am I screwed? Anything I can try?

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Hmm are you sure u flashed using the right BIOS for your mobo??

Try taking the CMOS battery out for 30 secs. See what happens.

What model is the mobo?

tweak'e
16-07-2005, 06:02 PM
cheak on the site (find the proper motherboard this time) for recovery procedure (blind reflash).

check manual first.....gigabyte usually have dual bios so you should be able to switch bios and be up and running again.

pine-o-cleen
16-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Hmm are you sure u flashed using the right BIOS for your mobo??

Try taking the CMOS battery out for 30 secs. See what happens.

What model is the mobo?
I checked the model # against my motherboard manual and used cpu id to confirm it. Model # is 7VM400AM-RZ.

Tried taking out the batt for 30 secs. No change :(

pine-o-cleen
16-07-2005, 06:23 PM
cheak on the site (find the proper motherboard this time) for recovery procedure (blind reflash).

check manual first.....gigabyte usually have dual bios so you should be able to switch bios and be up and running again.
Checking site now, don't think it's a dual BIOS.

pine-o-cleen
16-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Can't seem to find recovery procedure at www.giga-byte.com. Done a fair amount of googling and it seems there 'used to be' a document on gigabytes site, but no more *sigh*

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2005, 06:45 PM
And u went here?

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_7VM400AM-RZ.htm

Hmm you should have flashed it in DOS / from a floppy. Updating a BIOS from within windows, is NOT a good idea. As u found out, it can screw a system.

pine-o-cleen
16-07-2005, 06:50 PM
So my options = ?

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Well unless it has something like EZ flash which some mobos have, nothing.

I would check the back of the manual, and see what it says about BIOS updates killing a system. Or send an email to Giga-byte..

Arnie
16-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi

I did the same thing some months ago with my albatron, my friendly computer guy here in Nelson took the BIOS chip out sent it to the NZ agents and they reflashed it, came back perfect, you may have to do that.

PS. How come the F1 clock is soooo fast

pine-o-cleen
16-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Well unless it has something like EZ flash which some mobos have, nothing.

I would check the back of the manual, and see what it says about BIOS updates killing a system. Or send an email to Giga-byte..
Sent an email to giga-byte. No troubleshooting etc in manual. Bugger eh.

pine-o-cleen
16-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi

I did the same thing some months ago with my albatron, my friendly computer guy here in Nelson took the BIOS chip out sent it to the NZ agents and they reflashed it, came back perfect, you may have to do that.

PS. How come the F1 clock is soooo fast
Thanks, i'll remember that.

Metla
16-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Can I ask how much it cost to have the bios chip removed,sent away,flashed and returned?

And how long it took?

Myth
16-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Can I ask how much it cost to have the bios chip removed,sent away,flashed and returned?

And how long it took? Probably more than the motherboard was worth I'm guessing.

As far as flashing the mobo, I think some people do it for the heck of it... got a prob; flash the mobo kinda thing.
They forget looking for the real issue (faulty PSU or RAM maybe).
If the mobo is old, and doesnt allow large harddrives, yeah flash it then, but for most mobos just bought in the last year.. whats the point? To what advantage?

Metla
16-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Yep, im thinking the price would be close,and you still end up with a second hand mobo tahts been messed with.

As for flashing the mobo, I hate to see people spit that out, Its just bad advice from people who dont know enough to be giving advice.

My modem wont work......oh,flash the bios
My computer locks up......oh flash teh bios
It makes a beep on startup......oh flash teh bios
My screen is fuzzy.....oh flash teh bios
I have a tummy ache.....Oh flash the bios

My computer doesnt turn on.......Did you flash the bios?

Yes I did,thats when it stopped booting....

Anyhow, Your garenteed a dead board if the flash utility says its the wrong bios and you flash it anyway.

pine-o-cleen
16-07-2005, 08:47 PM
So I guess the answer to 'Am I screwed?' is a resounding yes.

I didn't realise I could do this kind of damage to a motherboard just by software!

Anyway, I've definitley learned my lesson, thanks everyone for all your time and effort.

tweak'e
16-07-2005, 09:06 PM
got a bootable floopy disk (98 boot disk). put it in and see if anything at all happens when you start the pc. don't forget to try the reset button. most bios have a safe part in the bios which dosn't get flashed. this usually enables a person to blind flash the bios. you have to make a customised boot disk to do it.

Greven
16-07-2005, 10:24 PM
I thought that every gigabyte motherboard had dual bios. I have no idea how to swap to or recover from the second BIOS sorry.

Cicero
17-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Yep, I'm thinking the price would be close,and you still end up with a second hand mobo thats been messed with.

As for flashing the mobo, I hate to see people spit that out, Its just bad advice from people who don't know enough to be giving advice.

My modem wont work......oh,flash the bios
My computer locks up......oh flash the bios
It makes a beep on startup......oh flash the bios
My screen is fuzzy.....oh flash the bios
I have a tummy ache.....Oh flash the bios

My computer doesn't turn on.......Did you flash the bios?

Yes I did,thats when it stopped booting....

Anyhow, Your guaranteed a dead board if the flash utility says its the wrong bios and you flash it anyway.
So as a lover of macs,are you saying,if going to flash use a mac?

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0039981.html

Arnie
17-07-2005, 12:32 PM

And how long it took?

3 or 4 days from memory. Cost Zero.

Cicero
17-07-2005, 12:51 PM
3 or 4 days from memory. Cost Zero.
Wonder why such a reasonable price.

Arnie
17-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Probablly because he knows I will go to him next time rather than try to do something I know nothing about!!!!!!

Cicero
17-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Probablly because he knows I will go to him next time rather than try to do something I know nothing about!!!!!!
My kind of fella.

Metla
17-07-2005, 03:02 PM
cant argue with the price, so im presuming it was somehow done under warrenty,even if the tech was willing to give his time for free there are still costs for courier and services rendered by the agent it was sent back to.

Myth
17-07-2005, 03:32 PM
cant argue with the price, so im presuming it was somehow done under warrenty,even if the tech was willing to give his time for free there are still costs for courier and services rendered by the agent it was sent back to.Which leads me back to the other point, if it was still under warranty (I take the warranty lasted a year) why the need for a BIOS upgrade? Why not just take it back?

If you did flash the BIOS under warranty, count yourself lucky it was fixed free of charge, most people would have been charged

Arnie
17-07-2005, 04:03 PM
The agent did not charge to reflash, only the Bios chip was sent down not the MB, and my guy here knew we would possibly be getting him to assemble 2 new computors for work may have had a bearing on the Zero cost!!!!!!!

However my main point was that P-O-C may be able to have the same for a reasonable cost.

Ferg
17-07-2005, 06:47 PM
As an option I did a bad BIOS flas once, and got a new bios chip from www.badflash.com , US$24.99 anywhere in the world. All you need is a wee tool to pull it out, available from computer stores. Beats a new mobo and they were prompt and efficent.

As you've learnt (and I think I quote Metla from way back) flashing the BIOS is not for the faint of heart.

Murray P
17-07-2005, 07:48 PM
It's ok to remove the CMOS chip and have it flashed or replaced if you can, not all are removable.

I agree whole heartedly Met's, anyone who recommends flashing the BIOS within the first 10 things that should be tried to diagnose or fix the problem, should get a good biff on the left ear with a follow up to the right and a swift kick or three in the slats.

Ohh, but the RAM was faulty, the PSU was faulty, the video card was unseated, it would have been ok other than that, whine whine!!. Yeap, that's what can happen from time to time, even more often than not.