PDA

View Full Version : usb to serial

tombarb
15-07-2005, 08:01 PM
We have a two desktop PC's (running Windows 98 and 95 respectively), and we use a serial fastlynx cable to transfer files between the two. We have just bought a laptop computer running Windows XP. There are no parallel or serial ports on the laptop, so we bought a multi-function USB hub from DSE, to give us one parallel, one serial and two extra USB ports. We have connected the serial fastlynx cable between the desktop running Windows 98 and the laptop (via the USB adapter), but have had no luck "seeing" the files on either machine. Is the USB converter not allowing the null-modem serial cable to function properly ? Can anyone give us some tips on how to get the two machines talking to one another. Have also tried using direct cable connection, but the host computer (desktop) doesn't show up in the my network places on the laptop (guest). Any ideas ?

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Buy network cards for the 3 of them. And a hub.

And make sure all 3 have the same workgroup.

And if u want all 3 on the net, use the laptop, as the others dont support ICS. Or download Analogx, I think its called, for ICS.

Graham L
16-07-2005, 02:39 PM
It could be that the Fastlynx programme addresses the hardware registers directly, without bothering to involve the OS. ;) Of course, a USB emulation of a serial port doesn't have hardware registers. And XP would probably stop a user programme accessing them directly anyway. :(

I assume that the W98 and W95 machines don't have Ethernet cards. That would be the best solution ...

You would need a hub or switch to connect all three, though you could just connect, say, the W98, to the laptop with a crossover cable, and continute to use the Fastlynx serial connection between the W95 and W98.

The Ethernet cards are cheap (but you might need an ISA card for one or both of the older computers ;)).