PDA

View Full Version : Creating new broadband connection

Term_X
15-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi folks

ive been a wired country customer (phone and internet ) for about 10 months and very happy and suggested a friend in hamilton to get signed up also. it was installed and the cable ran into the house into the back of the friends network card (built into the motherboard)

we went to create a new connection so he could log in and get online. he has windows xp home. went to "create a new connection", then "connect to the internet", "set up connection manually", "connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password", "isp name", "internet account information", put in his user, password,

just like i have mine, but for some strange reason it shows up as a "dialup" connection and says missing device? we keep deleting this and redoing and even though we select "connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password" (just like mine) it always still says "dialup". we connected his laptop (also winxp home) and that worked fine, shows up as "broadband" and connected fine to the net.

device manager says the network card is enabled, and no problems.

tweak'e
16-07-2005, 03:52 PM
i've struck similar problem before........the lan was disabled in the bios. it was strange how it was showing in device manager even tho it was turned off in the bios.

Fishb8
16-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I did a BIOS update and couldn't connect to the internet. My router was Lan/USB and the USB worked ok, so I worked like that for a while until I looked through my MB's manual, for an entirely different reason, and found there was a LAN setting. Went into the BIOS, after re-booting and there it was - disabled. Easy to change if you know.
MSI K8N Neo Platinum, mainboard.

Term_X
17-07-2005, 02:12 AM
cheers guys i had a feeling the answer lies in the BIOS, the problem was a password was needed to change the settings, and we dont know it. Can we just reset the cmos thing?

Myth
17-07-2005, 10:53 AM
By password, I assume you mean BIOS password...
If you look in the motherboard book, there is a jumper for clearing the CMOS. You just change it from one position to the other for say 10 seconds, and then put the jumper back in its original position.
Alternatively, take the battery out for approx 30 seconds