PDA

View Full Version : Checking/changing I/O port config for USB keyboard

Shortcircuit
15-07-2005, 06:35 PM
I've just had to replace my faulty Logitech Bluetooth keyboard/mouse with the Di'Novo cordless usb version (I was way sick of the bluetooth lag anyway!)

Windows detected the USB receiver/keyboard and all setpoint software installed correctly, but the keyboard will not connect to the receiver.

I also bought a cordless Logitech laser mouse at the same time because the mouse that came with the keyboard was a piece of crap. The laser mouse connects ok... no probs there.

I have had problems with a logitech cordless keyboard before but got it to work by uninstalling the drivers and letting windows find it.

I've tried everything logitech help suggests except they say 'some computers may have strangely configured I/O ports... check that yours are Ok etc'

I've been through device manager and hardware profiles etc but can't see anything wrong.

Running Win XP Pro, even did a clean install of XP and tried installing receiver/keyboard as first item, but no go.

Any suggestions?

Graham L
16-07-2005, 04:27 PM
The only cordless keyboard and mouse I have played with had to be taught to talk to their receiver module after putting the batteries in. They did not "just work". The instructions were inside the lid of the receiver (it was a charger for the NiMH cells of the KB and mouse, as well).

Shortcircuit
16-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for replying Graham...

yes, I've had several cordless keyboard/mouse combos before, but this one just doesn't want to play ball.

I've checked for port conflicts and there doesn't appear to be any, so I'm wondering if I can assign the usb keyboard (desktop receiver) to another I/O port... not too keen to dive into the bios if I can help it!

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2005, 05:57 PM
USB devices dont use I/O / interrupts, AFAIK.

The host controllers do tho.

BUT by the looks of it these cant be changed in XP. It doesnt give u the option.

Shortcircuit
16-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Aaaah, so am I on the wrong track despite the logitech comment about 'some comps have strange I/O configs' (sic)? It does show up as a ' usb composite human interface device' and 'usb desktop receiver' in device manager.

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Yup, the mouse I'm using which is optical appears as Human Interface device, in Device Manager (in XP).

BUT in its properties u only have General / Driver / Details.

If the I/O port / interrupt address, can be changed, u could go to the Resources tab, which according to this system, every USB device I have doesnt have. Every other devices u have has I/O / a Resources tab tho.

There would be addresses etc for the printer / serial in the BIOS. That'll be about it.

Shortcircuit
16-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Yep, you're right... no I/O in resources for USB devices with XP, I guess that'll mean none either if I delve into the bios.

Thanks anyway

Graham L
17-07-2005, 04:02 PM
When the hardware manager tells you that a device is "working correctly" that just means that it has seen the device and can recognise what it is. It does not mean that the device is "working" by any real world definition. :groan:

So it has found the USB end of the cordless keyboard mouse. That works. So suspect the "cord". It's probably the wireless communication between the keyboard and the box plugged into the USB port. As I said, one I saw needed to be taught to talk to the USB box.

Shortcircuit
17-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Graham, you've got me confused. Do you mean something other than pressing the connect button on keyboard and receiver to make them 'talk' to eachother?

I've just about given up and will try my luck with a human voice at logitech support... or else it will make a fine doorstop :-(