PDA

View Full Version : reinstall xp

Gabpoll
15-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi, does anyone know how I can reinstall windows xp home edition?
I don't want to format my hard drive.

phylip
15-07-2005, 03:47 PM
use partition magic and make another partition and install it on that

chiefnz
15-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Tricky one, I'm assuming you're trying to keep some of your existing data. Best thing to do is back-up the data you don't want to lose and then re-format. If you did a re-install of XP then you'd still have your old file structure in place... especially the Prgram Files folder. The folders would still be there but the programs will not work; you'd have to re-install all your applications again.

Your best bet and cleanest option would be to back-up and then re-install Windows XP.

cheers

chiefnz

Shortcircuit
15-07-2005, 04:02 PM
If you use the XP Pro disc it gives you the option to re-install keeping your current files and folders/profiles etc, or you can do a format/clean re-install.

I guess it's same for XP home, but I'd still back up your important files just in case.

FoxyMX
15-07-2005, 04:21 PM
I guess it's same for XP home, but I'd still back up your important files just in case.
It is and I agree about backing up files, especially the ones in Documents and Settings because they are the ones most likely to get zapped if something goes wonky. Windows even gives a warning about this.

Shortcircuit
15-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks FoxyMX, I thought I was right after doing 5-6 re-installs (sigh)... now if you could just fix my keyboard :-)

drcspy
15-07-2005, 08:38 PM
yep and xp home will also give you the option of a 'repair' install which cures many probs but leaves your system and currently installed programs intact

Greg
16-07-2005, 05:16 PM
It is and I agree about backing up files, especially the ones in Documents and Settings because they are the ones most likely to get zapped if something goes wonky. Windows even gives a warning about this.
Ditto