PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Madness

Agent_24
15-07-2005, 12:42 PM
In relation to the upgrade I am about to carry out, I now have a problem regarding the motherboard.

I first decided that I would get the MSI K8N Neo-FSR (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=571), However I have now just realised there is another board, the MSI K8T Neo-FSR (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=496), both of which seem to provide the same features, But for a start I have no idea which one would provide me with better performance (though I most likely won't be overclocking), and secondly I am confused with the CPU socket on the K8T board. All the other A64 boards seem to have a black plastic heatsink thingy around the socket, similar to the P4's.. Is it just the photo being wrong or what?? do you need the heatsink thingy or not?? :waughh: :waughh:

CYaBro
15-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Out of those 2 boards I would definitely go for the K8N as it has the NForce3 chipset which is much better than the VIA chipset on the K8T board. IMO anyway.
Both boards will need the black mount for the CPU fan. MSI have just taken the photo of the K8T board without it.
Sometimes the boards come with the mounts loose in the box and you have to screw them on yourself. Pretty easy though!

FoxyMX
15-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Yep, go for the MSI K8N Neo-FSR.

Agent_24
15-07-2005, 04:10 PM
In what way would the nForce be better??

Would anyone know where I can find benchmarks/comparisons etc?

Metla
15-07-2005, 04:27 PM
About 100 years ago when AMD were coming to the market the choice was pretty much between a slow SIS chipset or a faster but unstable VIA chipset.

Both platforms matured and started bringing better chipsets to the market, the SIS having some stunning designs and some absolute disasters, VIA worked on getting faster and more stable chipsets released and working on unbified drivers so you could be garenteed there were newer chipset drivers available.

Then Nvidia released the original Nforce chipset, Based directly on the design they used for the Xbox, It was faster and more stable then anything before it, and this has carried on for the entire Nforce series.

But what about VIA?

They continued to release stable and faster boards and they have many that are just as stable (lets face it,stabily ceased to be an issue years ago) and perform just as well as the Nforce chipsets.

So why Nforce rather then Via?

Because 5 years ago one sucked and the other rocked, now its entered internet folklore (a bit like much of the PSU debate) that Nforce is the way to go no matter what, even though no one knows without looking wether the comp they are sitting at is using Via,Nforce,SIS,or something bolted together on a dirt farm in Ubakastanki.

Take into account that 99 percent of motherboard reviews are based on how well a board overclocks and the fact that one percent of owners overclock you can see most "common knowledge" is just bulloks repeated by users over and over.

If you look at the release cycle you would see that time and time again Via introduced boards with new features and cutting edge tech while everyone sat on their hands waiting for the new nforce.

But I ramble, My rig has an Nforce, Every rig I build that isn't a budget model gets an nforce ,and I would recomend an nforce.

Why?

Because 5 or 6 years ago Via's sucked.

Muhahahahahaha

Metla
15-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Anyhow, your buying an MSI, the chipset won't matter, It wont be the chipset that lets you down.

Metla
15-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Oh yeah, ATI have been working on a motherboad chipset as well, and these are making their way into the NZ market, They also incorperate the X300 intergrated graphics, which I am pretty sure is the best video chipset to be intergrated into a motherboard yet.

FoxyMX
15-07-2005, 04:46 PM
It wont be the chipset that lets you down.
What will, then? He hasn't mentioned any of the other bits that are going in the box. :confused:

Metla
15-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I was having a dig at MSI...... :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:

JJJJJ
15-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Another reason you should stick with the nForce. I have been useing one for about eight months and can't find any reason to change it.

FoxyMX
15-07-2005, 05:06 PM
I was having a dig at MSI...... :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:
Meh. :blush:

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Sounds similar to the Asus KN8 socket 754. (same Nforce 3-250 chipset on it).

Except I think the ASUS has some kind of NV firewall built in.

The ASUS doesnt look too bad either, $108.00 inc GST down the road.

Agent_24
15-07-2005, 07:00 PM
I've been looking at tests and such on Tom's hardware and that MSI K8T Neo-FSR was awarded 'Editors choice' and the benchmarks seemed to back that up quite well.

Unless someone can give me a reason why those results would be fake or something then I can't really see anything wrong with that board. :)

FoxyMX
16-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Unless someone can give me a reason why those results would be fake or something then I can't really see anything wrong with that board. :)
Well then, if that's the board that you want, then buy it. :)