PDA

View Full Version : Screen cleaner

kjaada
15-07-2005, 07:02 AM
What is a good cleaner for a laptop screen.

SurferJoe46
15-07-2005, 07:48 AM
My LT's never last long enuff to require screen cleaning. I have a couple right now doing duty as door stops....

andrew93
15-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Different laptop screens respond to differing cleaning products because not all screens are made the same. The late model Sony and Toshiba laptops with the glass screens respond well to normal glass cleaner. But that doesn't work too well on the non-glass LCD / TFT screens. In some cases a small amount of IPA (isopropyl alcohol) will do the job and some screens respond really well to the AF Foamclene product. Before you clean the screen, brush all of the dry dirt and dust off. With screen cleaning, less cleaning product works better and spray / apply it directly to the screen, use a soft cloth (older cloths work better than newer cloths) that is absolutely dry. Work very fast and firmly (but not roughly) otherwise you end up with 'streaks'. Practice makes perfect....and don't ever 'point' to anything on the screen again!
Andrew

kjaada
15-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks very much

godfather
15-07-2005, 11:48 AM
The 3M commercial screen cleaner I use on my LCD screens is a mix of water/vinegar/Isopropyl Alcohol.

Google will also tell you that just water/vinegar works fine (25% white vinegar/75% water, or 50%/50%)

The key issues with any cleaner is to use a moist (not damp or wet) cloth and never to have that much moisture on the screen that it runs down into the bottom of the frame, as it will cause terminal damage to the electronics.

SurferJoe46
15-07-2005, 11:52 AM
My old navy chief would have you keelhauled if you ever went near ANY electrical devices with acetic acid (vinegar), for not only will it wet the connections, the acid will work it merry way thru the base metals on which the gold (if it has any) contacts are flash bonded.