PDA

View Full Version : Windows Tutoring Program

techiekid
14-07-2005, 05:15 PM
I used to have a compaq presario pc (i think it was 5000 series) that had a useful tool for learning to use the pc it had a pretend windows interface that could be used to do step by step tutorials.

I really need this for my computer-dumb mum to practice using the pc so she dosent stuff it up.

If you find the file or anyhting related to it i would be verry apreciative of you.

Thanks
Techiekid

Jen
14-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Show your mum yourself the basics, eg shutting down the PC, how to open, save and close a file. You have to have patience and take things slowly, so remember that. A good way of learning the OS is to get a book out from the Library for that OS. The "for Dummies" or "Complete Idiot's Guide" series of how-to books are really good as they keep things simple and have pictures to demonstrate different tasks.

techiekid
14-07-2005, 05:40 PM
but i dont have the time
lol

Poppa John
14-07-2005, 05:53 PM
but i dont have the time
lol

And your Mum Has heaps of time I suppose. After getting you up feeding you & getting you off to school. Then cleaning & cooking. SHE will be working from when she gets up in the morning till she goes to bed. You cannot give her a little of your SO precious time??? Yuk PJ :( :horrified

plod
14-07-2005, 05:56 PM
but i dont have the time
lol
How old are you ? 12,I thought you would have heaps of spare time after the [edit: comment removed - please do not be so insulting], Just remember who supplied you with the pc, power and god knows what else..

[edit: comment removed - that is an inappropriate thing to say about a person's mother. Please show some respect]

[edit: there is no excuse for insulting comments, when a simple question was asked - Jen (Moderator) ]

techiekid
14-07-2005, 06:14 PM
I thought PF1ers actually Had manners??

Renmoo
14-07-2005, 06:19 PM
If the computer is running XP, create a restore point first and let your mom explore Windows on her own. You can learn much more better if you teach yourself rather than having someone teaching you provided that you do not teach yourself the wrong thing. Also, if you are real paranoid and afraid that your mom might have execute some deadly thingy, you might suggest to her to go to an Internet Cafe and explore those computers. Sounds stupid, but at least you do not have to clean up the mess. ;)

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
14-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Internet cafes are worse then home PC's!

I wouldnt do online banking in a Internet cafe. Let alone even go to one.

I've got lots of time. If ur in Auckland, she can pay me.

Scouse
14-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi Techie. Based on your age, etc., itis unlikely that your Mom is 55 yet.
However, if she is 55, suggest to her that she joins the local SeniorNet Club.

Renmoo
14-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi Techie. Based on your age, etc., itis unlikely that your Mom is 55 yet.
However, if she is 55, suggest to her that she joins the local SeniorNet Club.
Define "senior" :D

Scouse
14-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi again Techie.
Lot depends on what OS and progarmmes you are running.
For example, XP has built-in a great beginners Tour of Windows, at Start>Programs>Accessories.

Microsoft run a series on how to look after your system, starting at:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/howbackup.mspx

They do a lot of similar stuff on Word, such as at:.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011189521033.aspx

Hewlett-Packard do heaps of on-line training stuff.

Sort out what it is you want Mum to work on and Google it, such as
"Word 2003 training". Lots of training material on line.

Dannz
14-07-2005, 09:16 PM
A number of new Xp Pcs come with MSPress Interactive training, if it hasnt got it it is possible to purchase it

Scouse
14-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi James. I was almost tempted to be sarcastic and ask you which part of 55 your didn't understand. However, pop "seniornet site:NZ" in to Google. ;)