PDA

View Full Version : Networking Issue

dayze
14-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I am attempting to set up a computer on a router based network.
It sits about 3 or 4 hub hops from the server but will not work!
I have set the MAC address manually and attached the computer directly to the server which has made it work for a second. I then changed a setting somewhere and it failed to work anymore. After that, I have been unable to run the network on the computer. It uses a Realtec PCI card but also has onboard. The cable does work and all other computers will work on the cable.

I cannot fathom what is making the computer not work.
Please help ASAP,
thanks,
David.

Laura
15-07-2005, 05:45 AM
bump

Renmoo
15-07-2005, 05:52 AM
bump
Perhaps next time we should elect a "bumper" so that Laura doesn't have to wake up early in the morning to do the "bumper" job:D

Laura
15-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Just to explain my own "bump" choices, James.

Firstly, each thread has moved off Page 1 with no answers - and may not be noticed again.
Secondly, it comes from someone who's either asking their very first question or is still obviously new here.
( I feel sorry for them, whereas I assume the regulars have learned the tricks of moving their posts back up)

I found bump mystifying when I first joined, so understand why some newcomers don't understand it.
Guess it's PF1's own "foreign language," which needs a translation every so often?

But I'm not the only one who does it. It just seems that way recently...
And no I didn't get up specially.
This night owl's just going to bed.

Chilling_Silence
15-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Can I just start by asking why you were playing with MAC's in the first place? Have you got some sort of MAC filtering setup?

You've not given it the same MAC as another PC on the LAN have you?

Growly
15-07-2005, 10:52 AM
You shouldn't be changing MAC addresses, that's naughty!

Can you tell us a little more about your topology? You say you have a router, where is it? How many hubs do you have? (Are they Hubs or Switches?)

What about the IP Addresses?

Are you using a crossover / patch cable?

dayze
17-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I changed the MAC address after some advice in a forum. It did work afterwards suggesting for some reason it may have been sharing a MAC with someone else (very odd). Also, one of the devices had a MAC of 00-00-00-00-00-00 so I found that a bit strange.

I am able to plug the plug cross-over into another computer (eg. my laptop) and it will function perfectly. However, a plug into a hub/switch/router will result in packets send but not recieved and therefore no connection. The cable I am using is definitly OK as I can plug the laptop in through that cable to connect. I sense something is wrong with the card/driver/windows/motherboard/something cable-type sensing as in: it is not recognising the desired connection (10/100 patch/cross et cetera).

Thanks guys.

dayze
17-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Also, the IP is in keeping with all other devices and the router (192.168.0.x) and is manually defined to a static IP for user checking (each computer fixed IP).

The router resides about 3-4 hops from the computer in question (which is relatively far I guess) but other computers on the same hub (switching hub by the way) can function alright. Even plugging the computer directly into the router does not connect it. However, at one point, the computer responded and was able to connect, but ping packets were lost on further enquiry. I think the card may be stuffed, but the onboard is not working either, so maybe the motherboard is stuffed but I hope not.

Cheers.