PDA

View Full Version : Merging partitions problem

fnphoto
14-07-2005, 09:06 AM
I have an 80Gb HDD which is partitioned into 4 NTFS partitions plus a hidden partition at the start of the disk (for recovery). I have deleted the recovery partition and want to expand C: to incorporate the 2Gb of slack space.
The problem is Partition Magic keeps comming back with an error (error #27?) when I try to do it. Any solutions anybody?

Valerie
14-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Using PM7.

Error #27 is "Under multitasking operating systems such as Win.95, PM must lock a partition before it can safely modify it. If the hard disk contains files that are in use by another process PM cannot lock the partition."

I guess you are using PM in Windows and trying to modify C: which contains files in use by Windows so it cannot be locked. There is provision for running PM from Rescue Discs which would probably solve your problem.

All of the above is pure speculation on my part, I have never tried to merge partitions.

Good luck

drcspy
14-07-2005, 12:24 PM
yeh pm can create two boot floppies makes things pretty easy to do

Murray P
14-07-2005, 01:18 PM
fnphoto, I trust you are prepared to lose Windows in the process and have backed up important data?

I'm not sure if this is absolutely correct, but, I'm sure I've read that expanding a partition towards the begining of the drive is fraught with more difficulty than expanding it towards the end.

fnphoto
17-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Thanks everyone, I have run PM8 from a second HDD which I now have XP Pro installed on & I was able to do everything.