PDA

View Full Version : Com port

phad
14-07-2005, 09:38 AM
I got a new laptop and found out that it does not have any com port. Unfortunately for me, most of my electrical equipment requires connection through via an RS232 cable, also all the software I have works on the com port only, hence my problem.

Is there a device that connects to the LPT or USB port on the laptop and adapts to the com port? Or any possible solution?

Thanx.

ninja
14-07-2005, 09:45 AM
YUp, USB --> Serial adapters are all over the place.

Check DSE or Ascent or any major retailer.

I've got one from Ascent which I use for adminning stacks of serial consoled networking gear.

paulw
14-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Do you want to run DOS apps via the USB> com port. If so the DSE may no be your best bet.

I got a BAFO BF-810 branded one for about $25 recently works like a dream on all apps

b....
14-07-2005, 09:48 PM
We also use the BAFO BF-810 adapters to solve this problem.

They work very reliably for all the applications that we use them for.

phad
14-07-2005, 11:30 PM
We also use the BAFO BF-810 adapters to solve this problem.

They work very reliably for all the applications that we use them for.

Ok, I will try it, but does it work even if my software does not recognise any USB port. Cuz when it requests to hoose a port the only options available are com ports!

godfather
15-07-2005, 12:15 AM
They "create" a virtual COM port, usually COM3, COM4 or higher depending what else is installed (such as an internal modem which also usually has a virtual port created)

In my experience, the ability to use one is limited by the DOS program. If its only written to "see" COM1 or COM2, no guarantee it will work.

When I bought my last laptop, I hunted around to find one that had a "real" COM port as some software just would not see the adapter virtual COM port (and I tried several types) on a USB adapter on the previous laptop.

The DOS software will not see a USB port as DOS has no USB support, but the adapter will not show up as a USB port anyway.

b....
16-07-2005, 11:46 PM
We use DOS and Windows diagnostic programs, some of which only use COM1.
Our laptops are a mixture of W98, 2000, and XP. Some of them also have a "real" COM port.
One of our programs allows us to connect to two pieces of equipment at the same time, so we need two working COM ports(1 & 2). This can be either two adapters, or an adapter and a "real" COM port.

Use Device Manager to check the installed COM ports.
If COM1 is already in use, change it to the first available free COM port.
Exit Device Manager.
Check that the device still works.

Plug in the adapter and set it to COM1.
Exit Device Manager and try your program.

Good luck.

guptamanil
29-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Hi there,
i recently purchased BF 810 serial to usb converter for serial comm. wid my laptop.
as per the manual on their main site, i first installed the drivers (OS :WINXP) and then plugged in the converter, but it;s still not showing in either the ports section or under the USB section of my laptop's device manager :(

can anyone please help me wid this

Graham L
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

Ignore the rude, silly and unhelpful response you got to your first posting: you did the right thing by searching for threads which might relate to your problem.

Try uninstalling the driver software, shutting down the computer (very often this is essential, rather than doing a "restart"), starting it and plugging in the adapter. Windows will see it's something new. It might have a driver of its own which will work with no further problems. You might have to tell XP where the Bapta driver is.

Sometimes the manufacturer's documentation is wrong. :D Windows might have changed the way it does things after the adapter manufacturer wrote those instructions.