PDA

View Full Version : Auyone done a "Bios Upgrades"

ERR
14-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Sorry for my early morning posting,
Sorry if the topic has been covered every second week,

I know two people who have old computers, and will only see my 60 gig hard drive as 8 gig, I was thinking of Bios Upgrade but after reading the web site page http://www.bootdisk.com/bios.htm I have changed my mind, down the bottom of the page it warns you might wreck your (or someone else's) mother board,

I think I might try the old hard drive management program like "ontrack" I must go back to bed, so I'm not late for work.

Terry Porritt
14-07-2005, 09:03 AM
It's probably better to buy an IDE controller card which has it's own BIOS. This will enable large hard drives to be recognised and also give the opportunity to add several more if required.

pctek
14-07-2005, 09:27 AM
I have done heaps of BIOS updates. Just make sure the BIOS you get is the correct one for your model of board, often there are several models listed that are similar abut may say something like rev 2.0 or whatever. Take the lid off and look at the number on the board.
Then all you need to be careful of is that the power is not going to go off during the update process. Its unlikely and of course no-one would switch off the PC during!
It only takes a minute not ages so its fairly quick and easy.
However if the board only reads 8 Gb, it might not help as much as you'd like. If its too old you may only then get a limit of 32gb or something. Worth trying though.

drcspy
14-07-2005, 09:31 AM
neither bios update or ide controller cards are needed.............MOST if not ALL drive manufacturers now have freely available for download DDO (dynamic drive overlay) software which 'fools' the bios into accepting pretty much any harddrive of any size...........

Greven
14-07-2005, 09:48 AM
neither bios update or ide controller cards are needed.............MOST if not ALL drive manufacturers now have freely available for download DDO (dynamic drive overlay) software which 'fools' the bios into accepting pretty much any harddrive of any size...........

Would that software even work for my old pII motherboard that won't detect the hard drive at all if it is too big?

bartsdadhomer
14-07-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd go with Terry's IDE controller card option.
This option gets around the drive size barrier at a very low level within the system, and ensures you will have few problems using your new drive on your older system. Whereas you can run into all sorts of problems with DDO and unless you're pretty computer savvy can make a hell of a mess
I'd also dump the BIOS upgrade option unless you don't mind the risk of a dead board
And as has already been mentioned if it only sees 8GB now, the chances are that will only increase to 32GB as manufacturers probably haven't bothered to write one for larger drive support as the boards would have been well redundant by the time larger drives arrived on the market

drcspy
14-07-2005, 10:42 AM
yep what you do is 'set' the harddrive in the bios as say 8gb then use the software to 'fool' the system it's very easy to do...........ah.....think maxtor and or seagate have this software freely available....

drcspy
14-07-2005, 10:42 AM
and ok i'm pretty 'computer savvy' but i cant say i've found ddo software difficult or problematic at all........and it's free you cant really go wrong trying it......

Speedy Gonzales
14-07-2005, 11:26 AM
There is nothing wrong with getting a BIOS update, if the system wont handle a hdd over 8gb.

A few mths ago, I had no choice but to get a BIOS update for an HP system, I was fixing / updating for someone.

I was updating the hdd (previous hdd, was 6 - 8 GB - to 80 GB).

Installing 2K worked OK on the 80 GB. BUT without the update, everytime u rebooted the system it crashed, coz it couldnt recognise the 80 GB within 2k

(Once u got into 2000).

Once I got the update, it was just a matter of chucking it on a floppy, booting from the floppy, and the system auto-updating its BIOS. BUT this isnt the procedure for ALL BIOS's. Only some (or most) HP systems. And the system has never had a prob booting into 2k since.

Just as long as u know what you're doing / read on how to update the BIOS, there shouldn't be a prob.

tweak'e
14-07-2005, 11:43 AM
i would update the bios first. sometimes the makers slip other fixes into the updates ;)

if its an old mobo and even with the bios update it still has a limit then i would go for the IDE card. reason being is that old mobo's will be useing ata33 (mayby ata66) and you can get a nice performance increase when you use an ata100/133 IDE card with an newish drive. however be warned, with some cheap IDE cards you have to install the OS and drivers useing the mobo ide before moving the drive onto the ide card (which is pointless if the mobo ide dosn't work).

lastly the ddo software. just be warn it sometimes plays havoc with some setups/programs.