PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Connection Help

nathan23h
13-07-2005, 10:05 PM
I've just reformatted one of my hard drives and installed a clean Windows XP etc.

Ive just reinstalled my ADSL modem, but it keeps randomly stoping & disconnecting for no reason.
But when it says it has disconnected (Icon crossed out in task bar) and i put my mouse over the icon it still says it is connected but the internet explorer or webpages wont work BUT it will still download updates from microsoft etc

For example i just downloaded WinAmp i surfed to the website fine but when i started the download the icon in the taskbar got crossed out the download of WinAmp continued but if i tried to navigate to another site i couldnt

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? If i plug in my old harddrive it works perfectly.

Prescott
13-07-2005, 10:44 PM
what sort of modem do you have?

try a winsock fix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml)

godfather
13-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Did you reinstall all of the motherboard chipset drivers after the format and reinstall of XP, or is it limping along on the Windows default drivers?

nathan23h
14-07-2005, 08:22 AM
It is using the Dick Smiths modem
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42d5688f04dcf8282740c0a87f99073d/Product/View/XH1172

I just formatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP so im guessing that im using the windows default drivers !

As i said it's still working fine on my old harddrive so i wouldn't thing there would be any diffrences in the setup between drives?

nathan23h
14-07-2005, 08:33 AM
I was just talking to some else who suggested it could be Internet Explorer causing the problem, since things still download in the background???

Maybe when the computer installed service pack2 it caused a conflict somewhere?

drcspy
14-07-2005, 08:45 AM
did you enable/install any kind of firewall ?.......

Prescott
14-07-2005, 09:32 AM
did you download the drivers (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42d5688f04dcf8282740c0a87f99073d/UserTemplate/1/download/XH1172-windows.zip) from the dse site?

nathan23h
14-07-2005, 09:47 AM
The only firewall that is running is the Windows XP one i have also tried with it turned off and still no change.

I just used the drivers which come on the cd with the modem, i will try downloading some newer ones tonight.

^^^^^^these drivers seem the same as the one on the CD.And yes i wait until prompted to plug the modem in.

When i restart the computer it will work fine for awhile (2mins maybe) so im thinking it may be somthing causing the modem to stop.
The only thing i can think of is Internet Explorer as windows updates continue to download even when internet explorer won't connect

Prescott
14-07-2005, 10:12 AM
tried the winsock fix i suggested?

nathan23h
14-07-2005, 10:20 AM

No sorry im at work, working hard at the moment =)

Will try is when i get home and post the results

Murray P
14-07-2005, 02:42 PM
That's a USB modem, install your motherboard drivers, then install the modem drivers, then any other suggested fixes.

Right click the My Computer icon on your desktop, click Manage, expand (+) Event Viewer, look through the events, warninging and errors by double clicking (you can move up/down using the arrows once in the properties dialogue). Is there anything in there to indicate what is causing the problem?

Don't run your computer for more than a minute or two without a firewall and adequate antivirus protection (the Windows firewall is inadequate). It doesn't look like this modem uses NAT, which makes you more vulnerable to attack.

Have you read this:

DSE:
Frequently Asked Questions

Q.I have completed installation of my XH1172 but am not able to login to it's configuration pages after clicking the desktop icon. How do I configure my XH1172?

A. We have identified that there may be problems accessing config pages if the XH1172 has not been setup correctly, specifically if the modem is plugged in to the computer before installing the drivers the XH1172 will be set to factory defaults which are not as described in the User Manual. The steps below will allow you to work around this problem:

1. Double-click the USB Endpoint Login icon on your desktop.
2. When prompted for username and password, enter admin as the user and epicrouter as the password.
3. Click Quick Start in left hand panel, click Always On to set the modem to automatically connect to your ISP then click Save to save this change.
4. Click Wan in the Configuration section in the left hand panel
5. Set Encapsulation to PPPoA VC-Mux
6. Set VCI to 100
7. In Static IP Settings section, delete the existing IP Address and replace with 0.0.0.0
8. In PPP Settings section, enter the login name and password provided by your ISP (usually in the format username@isp.co.nz but note some ISPs may require you to add .xadsl or similar to this eg username.xadsl@isp.co.nz), consult your ISP for details.
9. Click Submit to save the changes, then click Save Configuration to apply the changes and

nathan23h
14-07-2005, 08:34 PM

Yes just tried this and it didnt work sorry

nathan23h
14-07-2005, 08:37 PM
MurrayP:

Yeh i checked all the settings of the Modem and the all match what is on the DSE website.

When i looked in the event viewer i found the following which mean nothing to me:

Under the "System" Files

Type: Warning
Source: Tcpip
Event:4226

Type: Error
Source: acpi
Event: 4 or 5

Under the "Application" Files

Type: Warning
Source: userenv
Event:1517

All the above appear regularly

godfather
15-07-2005, 12:29 AM
As i said it's still working fine on my old harddrive so i wouldn't thing there would be any diffrences in the setup between drives?
Thats the point. The motherboard (and all I/O and USB functionality) drivers are held on the HDD.

If you have not updated them on the new HDD install, you are limping along on the Windows default drivers as explained.

The old HDD installation probably contained the correct drivers, hence it works.