PDA

View Full Version : Installing C&C Generals = Chaos

sarel
13-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi guys

I tried ti install C&C Generals on my P4 1.6 XP, 360 RAM PC. I searched through previous posts and it seems as if the graphics card may be the cause of a lot of grief with this game. Yesterday it installed say about 20%, rebooted on it's own, and tried to "fix" certain C&C files. The PC also seemed to be sooooooo slooooooooow once this happened. I restored it to a pre-C&C point, so my question - is this symptom typical of graphics card problems and how do you fix the slow PC after an aborted attempt?

I've also considered downloading the latest graphics drivers but it seems to me I got them. Graphics card - o b*gger I don't know, I did not check but will tonight (I'm writing this post a work).

sarel

pctek
13-07-2005, 01:01 PM
No, graphics won't be a problem until you go to actually run the game. Anyway C&C doesn't require a super card.
Check how much room is on the HDD, clean out some of the clutter - temp folders etc, do a spyware and virus scan. Then uninstall it completely and try again.

Metla
13-07-2005, 01:23 PM
hmmm....C&C generals is a fully 3d RTS game,it requires a pretty fancy video card, it bought my G4TI to its knees.

I agree that his video card shouldn't be affecting the install of the game, but you do need a pretty hefty system to run it (or a system considered capable when the game was released)

pctek
13-07-2005, 03:43 PM
System Game Requirements

Windows XP/ME/2000/98
Intel 800 PIII or AMD Athlon
128 MB RAM
1.8 GB Hard disk space
32 MB Nvidia 2 or higher (GeForce2, etc

My son has no trouble with his Ti4200 and AMD 2000. Didn't think it was that high....

But anyway thats irrelevant to the install prob.

Metla
13-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Then I would imagine it comes down to level of detail,effects,lighting, resolution etc etc, the idea (to me at least ) is to run a game as close to how it was designed to look as possible (without being silly as far as expensive video cards are concerned....whoa, I see the 7800GTX PCI-e "Bundle with Battle Field 2 CD Key" 256MB 1.6ns DDR3 430/1200Mhz Dual DVI w VIVO (HDTV), also bundle with "Second Sight" & "Nascar Thunder 2004" has arrived on the pricelist)

Where was I?

Oh yeah, sidetracking this thread,......I'll go sit back in the corner.....

chiefnz
13-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Have u installed the latest patches?

cheers

chiefnz

sarel
14-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi guys

I can't install patches coz I can't install the game - disk 1 only installs to about 20% and then the PC reboots - no warnings, nothing. And I know what card I got : NVidia GeForce 400MX or something.

I did clean out all temp files before installing. Tonight I will try to install in safe mode, and if that does not work, I will try and install a bit more RAM.

I am still worried tho' about the massive slowdown of the PC after a failed install - doesn't this point to perhaps a problematic HD. Is there any free proggie that you can use to check your HD for faults (not the Win ones, already used it, no problems encountered)?

sarel

pctek
14-07-2005, 09:24 AM
I am still worried tho' about the massive slowdown of the PC after a failed install - doesn't this point to perhaps a problematic HD. Is there any free proggie that you can use to check your HD for faults (not the Win ones, already used it, no problems encountered)?

sarel
Your HDD manufacturer should have a test program.
Have you tried installing a different game? OR some other software? If its your hard drive then it won't matter what you try to install. You do have enough room on the hard drive don't you? It's not full?
It could be something wrong with the game cd...that should narrow it down a bit anyway.

SonicNZ2
14-07-2005, 11:37 AM
This site http://free.hostdepartment.com/s/skyhigh911/generals.html has heaps of troubleshooting info for installing/running Generals.

sarel
14-07-2005, 01:27 PM
PCtek

No - the rest is sweet, HD empty, other software no problem. Game CD - also OK, coz it installs on me son's PC

S

sarel
19-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Just an update guys. I copied the installation files to one of my drives while in "Safe Mode", then rebooted and installed from the normal drives. Installation went very well, and I could even install the patch.

I found the game to be a bit of a let down - very much the old C&C games (not that you would expect anything drastically different, but still) but at least it's nice to play it again after about 2 years without.

sarel