PDA

View Full Version : Win98 Key.

Jixodusty
13-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Hi all.
My father is 76 and just got the idea of internet. and wanted a computer free, well not quite.
I had an old PC Pentium 3 600 Mhz with 256 ram, but a knackered hard drive, replaced the harddrive and formatted and loaded my windows 98 disk from YEARS ago... BUT and here's the crucial point I can't find the key, you know what it's like it was just in the carry case no key.
As 98's past it's sell by and use by date, does someone know where I can get a key??
Thanks If you can help.

pctek
13-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Well that would be piracy....There are still copies of 98 available on Trademe, with cd key, I mean real copies that is.
Anyway it won't last. My father thought the same thing too when he decided a PC would be useful. Next thing you know he's complaining about how slow it is and how much he needed an upgrade. 3 PCs later....

beama
13-07-2005, 09:31 AM
how about linux

There are a couple of distros that spring to mind, Mepis and Xandros both would be good for this and both are very "Windows" like and the bonus is no worries about virus's and spyware, which most new pc users get trapped by.

The only thing to watch out for is modem support. While both these distro support soft modems neither support all manufacturers chip sets. If I remember corrrectly Mepis supports Contexant chipsset and Xandros doesnt, as an example.

But an easy way round this is to purchase a external modem. Most of these are supported by linux distro's and they are not that expensive.

rmcb
13-07-2005, 02:22 PM
I know for sure that Xandros 2 supports Connexant chipsets but ver 3 does not..........
Mepis has support for some Agere chipsets (Lucent winmodem).

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2005, 02:45 PM
If you're asking us for a Serial Key - Forget it!

As mentioned, try Trademe or Linux