PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to Piggy back on a wireless connection

ephesus
12-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Can anyone please advise if it's safe to piggy back on a wireless internet connection. I am going overseas for a while and intend to piggy back on open wireless connection for internet surfing, checking emails and also internet banking. Is it possible for someone to see my passwords or logins through open wireless connection? All comments welcome.

Billy T
12-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't even think about Internet Banking on an open wireless connection. There is zero security and you are virtually a dead cert to have your passwords /logons compromised*.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

* means ripped off and your bank account hoovered.

ephesus
12-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Does it mean that when I am using a wireless connection in a hotel or at starbucks, it's best not to use internet banking??

Billy T
12-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Does it mean that when I am using a wireless connection in a hotel or at starbucks, it's best not to use internet banking??

I wouldn't.

Others opinions may vary, it's not their money.

It's not my money either, but I'd sure want to know that the connection was secure before I trusted it with my personal funds. I bet you would find that the fine print at the Hotel or Starbucks will absolve them of all responsibilty and heap all the risk onto you.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ephesus
12-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks Billy T. When you said a "secured connection" does it mean a "padlock" on internet explorer on the relevant site?

I suppose I am more concern about others hijacking my password when the information is transferred between my laptop and the router on an open network? Is this possible?

Greven
13-07-2005, 02:52 PM
IE isn't secure with or without the padlock. SSL does reduce the risk, but I'm pretty sure a skilled hacker could still preform a man in the middle attack.

ephesus
13-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all your comments. So I can conclude that its alright to piggy back on a open wireless connection for general internet surfing and checking emails, but NOT to use it for internet banking.

Does this also mean that if my own wireless networking is not encrypted or MAC enabled, its not safe to use it for Internet Banking as well?