PDA

View Full Version : Passwords

Gillie
12-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I know that to create a secure password I need to use a combination of upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols, but have been told that to make it REALLY secure I could put two or three space bar hits at the end, then take them out with the backspace key.

Any comments anyone?

mark c
12-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Never heard of that. Sounds a bit like overkill. Besides the "backspace" trick might be known to password busters, especially if it's posted around like this one. Google brings up results for "secure passwords backspace" without the quotes..........m :)

Graham L
12-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I know that to create a secure password I need to use a combination of upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols, but have been told that to make it REALLY secure I could put two or three space bar hits at the end, then take them out with the backspace key.

Any comments anyone?

:groan:

Would you like a polite comment?

"Nonsense."

When you enter a password to login, you can use the backspace (delete) key to fix errors you know you have made. When you hit the Enter (return) key, what is sent to the computer is the corrected password. That is put through the encryption procedure and compared with the stored encrypted version oif the one you registered.

When you register a password, you can do the same editing of passwords. Twice (because you need to confirm the password). You can do different editing each time, and still have the entries match and the password accepted.

For that idea to work, you would have to have the editing ability removed in both the registering and logon operations. It's not. ;)