PDA

View Full Version : Setting up VPN

chiefnz
12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Alrighty... dad has a 2nd PC which he wants to use to access the schools network via a VPN. I have the settings (port numbers etc) to set this up.

The modem/router is a Nokia M1122, I don't know where to setup the filters for the ports to get the VPN going.

Anyone have any ideas?

cheers

chiefnz

CYaBro
12-07-2005, 02:45 PM
You don;t have to do anything to your M1122 if you are making the connection out from your network through the M1122 to the school.
The school's router (or whatever they have to connect to the net) will need to be configured for the VPN. Is this where the M1122 is?

See this (http://dsl.nokia.co.nz/faqs.htm#ConfigHints) page, scroll down to the PPTP heading.

chiefnz
12-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah the Nokia router is at my dads house. I will have a and see if I can get it sorted.

If I don't have to conifgure my router then where do I setup the VPN?

cheers

chiefnz

CorbinH
12-07-2005, 07:26 PM
try going to the "Netwrok Connections" thing and hit new connection (on the left side) hit next then "Connect to the Network At My work Place" then VPN connection tehn just configure it

qyiet
13-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Alrighty... dad has a 2nd PC which he wants to use to access the schools network via a VPN. I have the settings (port numbers etc) to set this up. If this is a PPTP VPN then most routers will allow PPTP passthrough and your router should be fine.

If it is any other type of VPN (eg IPSEC) things can get complicated fast, and I would get the person who setup the other end to help me.

Good Luck

-Qyiet