PDA

View Full Version : Unable to download PDF files

GraemeL
12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I seem to have done something recently that now prevents me downloading any PDF files through IE v6 running on Windows XP.

I get an error message in a new window saying :

"You are not authorized to view this page"

I cannot save the PDF file to my hard drive either and in trying to do so get the same errror message.

I suspect it is ZoneAlarm (free version) or IE security setting that has been altered inadvertantly as I used to have no problem downloading PDF files.

The IE v6 Internet Zone and Privacy settings = Medium

Any suggestions to rectify would be welcome.

Rob99
12-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Is this the first time you have tried to get that pdf?? maybe there is a login for the site.

GraemeL
12-07-2005, 01:03 PM
I have been able to download PDFs from the site and others before and they don't have a log-in.

Have tried more than one site to see if it was site specific but still get the same error message.

The PDF files are for public viewing and printing so it is a bit of a mystery.

sal
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Does the following pdf work?

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/summerofcode.pdf

Safari
12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
When you go to the privacy tab and click on the custom button for Mobile Code Control, you will see a list of four things that are blocked (when checked). They are JavaScript, VBScript, ActiveX/Java and Mime-type integrated objects. If Mime-type integrated objects blocking is ON, then downloads, such as executables, pdf files, Zip files will be blocked. If you attempt to download when blocking is on for mime-type integrated objects, you will get a "You are not authorized to view this page" error in your browser. Turning this off will allow downloads again.

Graham L
12-07-2005, 02:01 PM
PDF files are executable files. ;) This is why the extreme settings stop them. PostScript (which PDF is descended from) is a very powerfaul programming language.

GraemeL
13-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far:

Sal - I got the same errror message from trying to open your link in a new window.

Safari - What privacy tab are you referring to? The one in the Internet Options doesnt refer to Mobile Code Control, it appears to be dealing with cookies. So I presume you are referring to another. I looked throughout the main ZoneAlarm tabs (Overview, Program Control, Antivirus Monitoring, E-mail Protection, Alerts & Logs) for a privacy tab but couldnt find one. So I am missing some additional info before I can check the Mobile Code Control settings for JavaScript, VBScript, ActiveX/Jave and Mime-type Integrated Objects.

Hope someone can guide me a bit further :cool:

sal
13-07-2005, 12:31 PM
In IE, try going to Tools > Internet Options > Security tab > Custom Level... button > select Medium from the drop down near the bottom and click the Reset button > OK > OK

johnboy
13-07-2005, 01:45 PM
This may help .
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=61
hth

GraemeL
13-07-2005, 03:11 PM
This helpful hint from the ZoneAlarm site appears to be for ZoneAlarm Pro not the free ZoneAlarm. See my post of earlier today. I cannot find the privacy tab that they are talking about in the ZA helpful hint but it describes the problem I am having.

I have used in the past the trial version of ZoneAlarm Pro but have reverted back when the trial period ended. I am pretty sure I have downloaded PDF files since the trial period ended.

Safari
13-07-2005, 03:55 PM
I was referring to Zone Alarm Privacy Tab
I suspect you still have some of Zone Alarm Pro installed which has the Custom settings still enabled.
You may need to do a complete uninstall of Zone Alarm the correct way per the instructions from the Zone labs site and reinstall again.

FrankS
13-07-2005, 04:11 PM
For info, running Zone Alarm Pro, in Overview Status, Privacy listed in LH column near bottom, in Privacy Main Tab, my settings are Cookie Control at Medium, Ad Blocking at Med, Mobile Code Control is off.
Safari has just beaten me to suggesting a reinstall
May not be relevant but current Adobe Reader v is 7.02, there were problems with v7.01

Billy T
13-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I cannot find the privacy tab that they are talking about in the ZA helpful hint but it describes the problem I am having.

I had this problem many moons ago and it was definitely ZA & Mobile Code/Mime etc

Privacy tab is on the LH side of the main screen, but unless you are in full screen view you will not see all the controls when you click it. You want Privacy>Custom>Mobile Code>Block mime type integrated objects, but the custom tab is at the far right of full screen and as far as I can see you can't scroll across. It is full screen or nothing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)