PDA

View Full Version : Network Dies if PC left.

Jams
12-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Hi All.

havent been in for a while.

i posted this question maybe a month or so ago, and thought i might try again.

i have a 2MB connection with smellycom and the modem (DSL-302G) is left connected day and night, but after last month of being capped and having our connection set back to new again, i have found that if i leave the pc for more than 2 hours or so my connection dies....and i have to pull out my ethernet cable and plug it back in again to force windows to pick it up again. My flatmate is running the modem through USB on his PC, and im using it through ethernet. its not a case of overlaoding the modem, as i do my downloading over night, and my flatmate turns his PC off at night, so not traffic from his side.

any ideas on how to keep my connection live through the night ? and preferbly through the day, as it once did do this before being capped for the first time.

Cheers.

Prescott
12-07-2005, 01:48 AM
have you done a virus, spyware scan?

see if there is an updated driver for your modem

Jams
12-07-2005, 01:50 AM
Yea, done plenty of the Virus and Spyware scans.

might try some newer firmware for the modem, but dont want to have to do that unless its the last resort.

Cheers.

Prescott
12-07-2005, 01:59 AM
yeah i see that there are only firmware updates available....tried a different cable?

Jams
12-07-2005, 02:23 AM
yeah, got a brand new patch cable last week. no change.

drcspy
12-07-2005, 07:27 AM
its not definitive but I did hear that while you CAN run two pc's off that particular jetstream 'modem' at the same time by plugging one into the ethernet and the other into the usb.......apparently these modems dont particularly 'like' that treatment and can be cranky about it........and can tend to drop the signal .....well that's what I recall from *somewhere*

sam m
12-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Sounds similar to problem I used to have with alcatel modem. Have you got modem set to find DNS server automatically? Set it to your ISP's DNS if you have.

Jams
12-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Hey guys.

Yea i have the DNS set to Automatically.

i might try changing it to my ISP's this afternoon.

Cheers