PDA

View Full Version : Is my new XP Pro Sp2 Disc faulty.

john r
11-07-2005, 09:35 PM
I tried to install windows off a new in its wrapping XP Pro Sp2 Disc, during the first part of the install the PC went to a stop error blue screen at the point where it says loading windows with this message, (session3_initialization_failed with oxoooooo6F) I then tried the same thing with a XP Pro Sp1 disc which went past the error point with no problems, after 3 tries to get it to boot and install off the new disc I was able to get it to work by using the 6 XP floppy boot discs (had to download new ones for SP2) to get past the error point and it is installing now as per normal, could there be a fault with this CD.
The PC has been running XP home with no problems for some time, I had wanted to do a clean install of XP Pro,I have never seen this before,
Cheers for any input,
John.

bartsdadhomer
11-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Can be a multitude of reasons from bad ram to a faulty disc to an attached scuzzy device or a board that supports SATA even if you aren't using it.
What is your MOBO brand & model, does it support SATA?

john r
11-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Interesting,
its an Albatron PM266A/Pro,I can't see any SATA plugs and no scuzzy fitted,only a modem and only onboard VGA,with the Sp2 disc there seems to be more stuff loaded at the start for Sp2 than Sp1,support for more hardware by the look of it,but for it to be ok for floppy boot install with the same software loading it must point to something wrong with the disc,but it would be hard to prove,when I rang the place I bought it from they wanted blame everthing else but the disc,they have never heard of this happening,do you know how long the Sp2 XP Pro discs have been around,I have seen XP Home around for a while.
Cheers,
John.

tweak'e
11-07-2005, 10:22 PM
funny that, ive just been bashing my skull trying to get a similar chipset system to work with SP2.

i had to repair the system back to SP1 then update to SP2 to get it to work. i pray it continues to work.

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2005, 10:25 PM
It could be similar to this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q153742

Or an ACPI prob, according to this

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20798804.html

Which says it could be BIOS / ACPI related, or ram.

john r
11-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks Speedy for the readme, it sure sounds like my problem,to prove the point I will try the disc on another PC,it will fail before thr reg number entry so I won't have to finish the install and will be able to back out of the install before it make any changes,
cheers,
John.

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2005, 10:46 PM
No worries. SP2 will install on any computer, if the cd works.

Thats if SP2 is just the SP2 CD, and isn't slipstreamed with a version of XP.

Which requires the product key to install it.

john r
11-07-2005, 11:13 PM
My disc is full install with Sp2 included all on one disc,new out of the packet today,
Cheers,
John.

SurferJoe46
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
john_r let me ask:

Are you using an official M$ SP-2 disc? Is it something from a packager/seller other than M$?

I call M$ and get all the free cd-roms from them for the patches and Service Packs all the time..they are free, and I wonder if this is your problem.

Can I get them for you too?

I don't know if M$ even sends these discs to NZ or not. I can burn a copy for you, and the license on the cd-rom from M$ says it is ok to do so too...pass it to anyone I want to.

It would be less of a financial setback (believe that if you want...M$ and financial setbacks!), if they allowed this practice, which they do.

Cicero
12-07-2005, 01:39 PM
SP2 cd's are free from Microsft here in NZ.

SurferJoe46
12-07-2005, 01:42 PM
thanks...

john r
12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
This disc is the full install of XP Pro with Sp2 included from MS with its own reg number and proper disc,I already have a couple of the free ones,I dont know how long these have been on the market,
Cheers,
John.

Graham L
12-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Most of the files on installation disks are compressed. Decompression of installation files is about the most severe "test" your system memory can have, because (a) usually all the memory is used, and (b) the output must be correct.

The floppy files either aren't compressed, or are in smaller packages. This might explain how they work.

Try memtest86. ;)

john r
12-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks Graham,
I have that ram tester here,I will give It a Go,
John.

john r
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
I have done 6 passes with memtest,no errors,
cheers,
John