PDA

View Full Version : File Recovery

Murray P
11-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Hi People.

I've done the stupidest thing, I've overwritten an 20 page OO Writer file with ablank document template :blush: What even more embarrassing, Murphy has decreed this is the one such file I don't have a backup of.

So, whats the good oil on data/file recovery software?

I've tried searching for the file using a trial version of Executive Software Undelete, but it only finds the current empty template. I suspect I'll have to examine the disc a lot more closely than that.

I also suspect that I over wrote the files about 4-5 reboots ago (have reinstalled windows and still putting the odd app back on). One good thing is the partition is seprate from windows and I haven't been fiddling with too much on it since, and definitely not since discovering my wee error :blush:

BTW, the time lost would easily amount to more than what professional forensic recovery would cost, but then, I could probably rewrite it before the drive comes back and lost prodution in the meantime would make it uneconomic.

beetle
11-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Oh i feel your pain, i am good at this sort of thing too - the losing stuff i mean......

No major ideas, except you sure its not saved anywhere on ya comp in a different file or as a doc or txt instead?

Im sure there will be others out there who may have more clout with the help tree.

and this is where i find it handi for the right hand to tell the left hand what its doing, and that nothing is left to chance round here any more. or i now print things when finished as well as save them to disk.

Sorry not much help, best of luck and sounds like start typing the new one is in order.

:groan:

beetle

Murray P
11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the sympathy and ideas beet.

I've searched all the drives and partitions and temp folders, more in forlorne hope than any technical reason using wildcards and specific file searches. Have cleaned out Windows a couple of times and rebooted lots :annoyed:

Murray P
11-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Found the file with a disc examination tool but it could only recover garbage, reported that the file headers were overwritten. So, I tried my trusty Linux boot disc, managed to recover more bytes, cluter by cluster, but all I got was a bit more garbage. It also reported the file had been partially overwitten.

So, it's head down and A up for the next few days, unless someone has some bright ideas. God, I really feel the complete idiot, I am.

beama
11-07-2005, 09:34 PM
try here Murray snapfiles (http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html)

I have used both Restoration and PC Inspector File Recovery with good results before.
Restoration has recovered files from a formatted floppy for me.

But I have had some failures as well

good luck

Murray P
11-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks Beama, will give them a crack.

Rob99
12-07-2005, 03:12 AM
I have only had good results with GetDataBack from Runtime.org

beetle
12-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Any luck Murray p????

beetle :illogical

Elephant
12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the sympathy and ideas beet.

I've searched all the drives and partitions and temp folders, more in forlorne hope than any technical reason using wildcards and specific file searches. Have cleaned out Windows a couple of times and rebooted lots http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/annoyed.gif
Unfortunately I have no idea about OOWriter whatever that is.
Normally MSWord will save temp files anyway.

I have used a recovery program successfully on other peoples hard drives only putting their hard drive in my computer as a slave and doing a recovery on to my hard drives/partitions. This before any info is overwritten.

The fact that you overwrote the file you wanted does not help.