PDA

View Full Version : XP uninstall

Duron
11-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Problem.
I loaded Windows XP for a trial but now can't uninstall and return to Win 98 SE. In trying to reinstall Win 98 SE (the folder with Win 98 is still on the HD), it keeps saying I can't install while running current Windows version. When attempting to uninstall XP using the remove function, XP is not displayed as one of the options.

Is it possible to uninstall XP via the old Command prompt?

Cheers
Duron

:badpc:

FoxyMX
11-07-2005, 05:57 PM
When attempting to uninstall XP using the remove function, XP is not displayed as one of the options.Where exactly are you trying to remove Win XP from?

pctek
11-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Messy. Did you install as a dual boot arrangement or just put XP over the top? If dual boot it should be easy enough to remove.
Otherwise I would retrieve all your data and then wipe the HDD and do a fresh install of 98.

Duron
11-07-2005, 06:03 PM
I installed XP over the top of Win 98, but found that a large number of my programmes had to be re-installed e.g. Microsoft Office among others, and a lot of the settings were altered, hence I want to revert to Win 98.

Cheers
Duron

FoxyMX
11-07-2005, 06:28 PM
I don't think you are going to be able to revert back to Win98 by the sound of it, especially if you have had to reinstall your programs (particularly Office) - too much will have changed.

As pctek says, it looks like you are going to have to backup your data and do a format/reinstall of Win98. :(

snoopy
11-07-2005, 06:59 PM
If you did an Upgrade installation of XP, it is possible to revert back to 98 by uninstalling Xp via Add & Remove programs ( as long as you haven't installed XP with NTFS) if you have used NTFS then as the others have said it's reformat time.

Duron
11-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.

Looks like reformat time!

Cheers
Duron