PDA

View Full Version : Computer wont boot up properly

Cptn Hotshot
11-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Have inherited an old Digital P166 64MB RAM running Win98. The problem I am experiencing is that more often than not, it wont boot beyond the self test phase and just hangs at a point where it says "30 Startup Power Management" (or something to that effect) with no DOS prompt evident. Tried booting it from a Win98 boot disk, but with no joy ... still dont get to a DOS prompt.

On another occassion it booted through to Win98 okay, but if a shutdown/restart is attempt, more often than not it wont boot again and I end up at the point mentioned above.

I havent added or deleted any hardware/software, so my thoughts are turning to the PSU being faulty, which is why it boots sometimes and not others.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion or throw some light on this problem for me.

techiekid
11-07-2005, 02:47 PM
perhaps you should check all the cables are plugged in?
perhaps a total reaseamble of ur pc components.
perhaps u should use scandisk to check the pc whe windows does boot up??????????????????????????????????????????/ :badpc:

Billy T
11-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Sounds like it could be a crook power supply with a deficient "power good" or standby voltage, one or the other.

My son's computer started doing that and I found that the standby voltage was down to 3.5 volts. That is usually indicative of a faulty filter cap so rather than dig into the power supply to repair it, I tapped a 100 F 10V cap into the standby and earth leads with a connector block and it's been booting fine ever since.

As a further clue, the supply was making a mechanical sizzling noise when the computer was off, suggesting that some thing in the standby area was getting unfiltered power. That noise disappeared with the new cap.

If you don't have the knowledge or resources to try the above, see what another power supply will do.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Cptn Hotshot
11-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Billy T ... thanks for that. Since I am not electrically minded, I will steer away from delving into the PSU etc. Will try and lay my hands on another PSU and see what that does.

Will be interesting to see if it powers up tonight after having been left unplugged for 24 hours.

Will keep you posted.

Cptn Hotshot
12-07-2005, 11:22 AM
It powered up first time last night after having been disconnected from the power supply all day. However, on an immediate shutdown and reboot, it would fail to get beyond the self test stage.

A chance look into the back of the PSU showed the fan not to be working, but did manage to finally get it working to some degree. Additionally, there was corrosion (rust) evident around the air outlet as well (PC has been in 'storage' & unused for a couple of years, it seems) which could very well exist elsewhere within and impact PSU operation.
So obviously these (together with probably a heat build up) issues are the major source of the problem being experienced.

Probably time for a replacement PSU me thinks.