PDA

View Full Version : Is my CPU having fever ?

ahd8888
11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi all,

I have a Pentium 3.2 Ghz (640) and ASUS P5WD2 mobo, 1ghz ram, 128mb PCI Express graphic card. It have 3 fans came with / built in the case, 1 fan on CPU, 1 fan on PCI Express graphic card, 1 fan in power supply.

Problem: My ASUS Mobo has a utility that it can sense the temperature of my CPU. Sometimes (just after start-up), the CPU have a temperature of around 33 degree C, but sometimes it had 45 degree C and thanks goodness it dropping from 45 to 38 ... Is that normal?

Thanks
Phil

Terry Porritt
11-07-2005, 01:58 PM
That is not a problem, that is about normal.
Wait until summer time and see what the temperature is then.

tweak'e
11-07-2005, 02:54 PM
whats your case temp and harddrive temps? they are often more important and i suspect they will be fairly high, depending on room temp, due to no case fans.

always take the temp readings with a grain of salt (ie they are not very accurate).

memphis
11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Some case fans would help if you wont to lower the temps. :thumbs:

1 front fan blowing cold air in.(helps to cool your hds at the same time)
1 back fan blowing the hot air from components out.

80mm fan is the common size in most cases,however more and more are going to 120mm case fans.Check your case for what size it takes.

Get a fan controler which helps to bring the noise down of the fans.(just plug the fans into it and plug the fan controler into a spare power supply cabble).

:2cents:

Jen
11-07-2005, 06:08 PM
My P4 2.4 GHz with the stock Intel heatsink/fan runs under normal load at about 43-48 deg C with an ambient room temperature of about 20-22 deg C. Has no performance issues. In summer this room gets a lot hotter, but the CPU temp stays about the same.

memphis
11-07-2005, 07:02 PM
A good indication is to put your hand at the back of the computer and feel the air coming out which should be cool if your doing not so intensive stuff like talking on the web and if your playing a game for 2 hours + feel warm.

You could touch your hds, hsf,northbridge,gpu heatsink and see how hot they are too during/after gaming.Or just feel temp generated inside the case from those components.

Most have fans to:

Keep the components running better less stressed,

Keep the hds cool less problems with them,

Keep the system running 24/7,

Heat is bad get rid of it,

For overclocking,

Help keep the system stable,

etc,

Components are getting hotter need more cooling, CPU PRESSCOTT an example only Intel fans dont get upset and thats why Intel has developed the BTX standard because of the heat from it.

At the end of the day its your computer do whatever you like....but beware you have been warned.... ;)

Cases have placements for fans, gee I wonder why?? :rolleyes:

tweak'e
11-07-2005, 08:48 PM
A good indication is to put your hand at the back of the computer and feel the air coming out which should be cool if your doing not so intensive stuff like talking on the web
proberly not the best indicator as a lot of (cheap?) psu's have very warm air output. the better psi's tand to run cooler. i assume they are more effeicent.

memphis
12-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Yes the better quality psu's run alot better then cheap psu's.
Like everything you have to pay for quality.

If you have a quality name brand psu that has 120mm fan/s,and 120mm case fans at front and back of your case and a quality cpu hsf then its all good as it all helps to keep your system cool and get rid of the heat in your computer case.

:D

drcspy
12-07-2005, 07:58 AM
dont have any idea what the ambient temp is here with two heaters going lol but my P4 2.4Ghz runs at about 22c most of the time.......although it'll go up a little under some load.......mobo and cpu right now are both at 21c....I have to 80m fans suckin in at the case front and one additional to the psu fan dragging air out at the rear of the case, and a standard fan on the cpu.......in normal usage even in the hottest summer days I'd very rarely get above 40c......

ahd8888
12-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Actually, I should mentioned at the beginning that I have Thermaltake Tsunami Case which has 2 x 12cm fan front and back, 1 x 9cm side window fan and 12cm fan in Acbel PSU. It should cool things down, right. Computer is sitting on the floor in a double bedroom. I can feel the room is quite warm when the computer is on for a while, even though it is winter. Just feel strange why sometimes when it start up, it has temp at 45 degree C, and sometime is 33 degree. I should put an egg inside the case to see if it can cook it. :D

Thanks guys for all your input.

FoxyMX
12-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Computer is sitting on the floor in a double bedroom. It is not a good idea for a computer to be sitting directly on the floor if the case has ventilation holes underneath.

Remember too, to keep an eye on the inside to ensure that you clean it before it gets clogged up with dust as bedrooms are one of the dustiest rooms of the house.

ahd8888
15-07-2005, 12:28 PM
This must be not right. Last night it has gone up from 50 to 60, then dropping back to 50 degree celcius. Is it hot last night? The reading was taken just after starting up and loading up all necessary files. When I tried to connect to internet and click iMesh, the temp started to climbed up, then dropping down a bit after connected to internet and iMesh came up. Tell me what u guys Temps. I am a bit worry because the pointer of 60 degree celcius is really coming to "orange" sign. (Green, Orange, Red) :(

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Put it on a desk not on the floor. And open it up and clean it once in a while.

It doesnt take long for it to collect dust etc, if its sitting on the floor.

tweak'e
15-07-2005, 12:44 PM
the temps are always going to bounce around a bit while under load which is why you get the difference at startup. if thre pc is new them the thermal paste takes a while to settle down and can cause temps to go a little werid to start with.
also the asus probe/temp sensors are not always accurate.

lastly it pointless quoteing cpu temps with out knowing the case temps and room temps.

memphis
15-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Definently raise the computer case of the the ground to allow air flow to get in and away from suckng up stuff from the floor.Can put it on top of books/mags,on desk,ect.

Give the case a bit of a dust out every so often.

Whats your cable management like?Tidy out of the way of the air flow.(looks good too, if you have a windowed case.(cable ties,shrink wrap,spiral loom,ect can get from Dick Smith and computer shops)

I agree with speedy Gonzales and Tweak'e. :thumbs:

Your case sounds good with plenty of air flow. :)

Do you have a heater in the same room as the computer?As the front fan would bring in the air into the case and that would be what ever the temp is in the room being brought into your case to cool your case.

ahd8888
18-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Thank you very much. I think I learn something from all of your inputs. The cables inside the case are really blocking the air flow and looks really messy too. I will do something about it.