PDA

View Full Version : Midi sequence files playback

polo
11-07-2005, 07:14 AM
my pc can playback Midi sequence files by wmp but has no sound. this files are for ringtones i downloaded. i used a midi player called karoke player but still no sound. i am running xp peo please help

Trev
11-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Make sure the Midi Volume isn't muted. Double click on the volume icon in the task bar to bring up the volume control panel.

Trevor :)

tweak'e
11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
my pc can playback Midi sequence files by wmp but has no sound.
sorry i find that double dutch ;) if it can play them should should have sound.

have you previously been able to play midi files? is your sound card cable of playing midi files?

D. McG
11-07-2005, 03:13 PM
What soundcard are you using? If you don't have a dedicated soundcard that has wavetable synthesis or supports soundfonts, you're pretty much left to the default synthesiser built into Windows, which doesn't have good quality. In Control Panel, under Sounds and Multimedia, if the Midi playback device is set to MPU-401 you'd need external MIDI hardware (i.e. a musical keyboard with MIDI interface) to play the files. It should be set to some synthesiser that produces sound on your actual PC.

Having said that, there is some software that renders MIDI data into actual sound output (since MIDI files are instructions on what the computer is to play, not the actual sound itself). Try "MIDInight Express" or "COWON Jet-Midi" - they may be useful. I've tried Jet-Midi (which allows 'sequencing', or editing, of MIDI files) and have found one annoying bug - the NoteOn events are always processed before the NoteOff events in each time quantum. In layman's terms, many notes (specifically legato notes of the same pitch) are not played, as the second note is started before the first is stopped - thus stopping the second note has well before it sounds.

Hope this helps.

-D. McG

D. McG
13-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I've tried Jet-Midi (which allows 'sequencing', or editing, of MIDI files) and have found one annoying bugActually, it's Jazz++ that I've tried (not Jet-Midi), which has the bug previously mentioned. It doesn't look like Jet-Midi does sequencing - just mixing of tracks and playback (which sounds like what you want). It would be an interesting coincidence if Jet-Midi suffered from the same problem.

Hope that clears things up.

-D. McG