PDA

View Full Version : Max files

fmcu58
10-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Can anyone plse tell me how to open max files, have kids school work on word document but for some reason ?? they have changed to max files and we cant get them open. Computor world is relatively knew to me, so keep it simple. thanks

Scouse
10-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi fmc. Pop max files in to Google. Some freeware there to view them.

fmcu58
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks will try, am finding my way around this site , new member!!

fmcu58
10-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Can someone plse tell me how to open max files, had kids school work on word document somehow it has changed, am new to this computor world and this site! Thanks to who ever replied in chat forum. Im using windows ME

Myth
11-07-2005, 12:08 AM
Near the bottom of this File Extension (http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=max&goButton=Go) page are some associated programmes, and where on your harddrive they might be.
If you don't have any of these programmes installed, make a copy of the file (right click and select copy) go to the desktop and paste it there (right click on desktop and select paste). Then go to Windows Explorer, select tools, folder options (I think it is), then select view, and make sure there is no tick/mark beside hide extensions for known file types. Click apply (or OK). Then go to the desktop file, it should be called x.max (where x is the file name). Right click on the file, select rename, then change the .max to .doc
You should now be able to view the file in Word.
These instructions were for Win XP, in ME they are slightly different

personthingy
11-07-2005, 10:29 AM
http://www.file-ext.com/p.html

Look up any file extension, and this site will help you work out what to do with it. :D

Small point, PF1 divides into a chat and a computer forum, this post really should have only been in the main forum, not chat as well....
Have a nice day!

Jen
11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
I've merged your duplicate thread from the Chat forum into this one, saves confusion that way and duplicated advice. :)

Billy T
11-07-2005, 03:14 PM
*.max files are Paperport images so perhaps you could try making a copy of one then renaming it to xxx.doc and seeing if Word can open it again. If not, try opening it in notepad and see if the text is readable. If it is you could save it as a text file then open it in Word & save as *.doc.

Computers don't normally assign new file suffixes though, so I'd back-track through whatever they have been doing and on what computer to see if you can find out what program stuffed them up, or what they were playing at!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)