PDA

View Full Version : Xandros 3 Printing problem

Hhel
10-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi there

I am getting an odd error when printing from Thunderbird or from photos in Xandros 3.0
Printer is an HP 840C which is recognised by the OS.
If I try printing from Open Office, no problem. However, from T bird or from photos, the dialogue to the printer opens up OK and then produces the following message:

Catastrophe! Knotify
Error while reading filter description for true. Empty command line received

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the printer with no change. Printer works under XP OK

Hope someone can point me in the right direction as I am enjoying Xandros OCE 3.0. Have installed Firefox 1.04 and Mailwasher Pro 1.1.0 for linux. However, I have not upgraded Thunderbird from the version that came with the distro.

Cheers,

Jim

Jen
11-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Have a look at this (http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/PrINting) and the section entitled "Error - can't print". Let us know how you get on. :)

Hhel
11-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi Jen,
Thanks for the help. You were right on the button. Sure enough, when I went into Thunderbird and opened up an email, selected File - Print and then properties, what looked like a "wine glass" appeared under "Filters". Selected this and deleted it and the email could then be printed. I'll keep an eye on it but have bookmarked your suggested site under Linux.

Once again, Jen has proved to be a winner.

Cheers,
Jim

Hhel
11-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Further to my last - each time I print from Thunderbird (or from a Screensnap), the "wineglass" like filter is left. It is easily removed but - why are these applications leaving the debris behind?

As many ohters have said before, Linux users are very helpful towards each other. This newbie appreciates the assistance.

Jim

Jen
11-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Have you got the latest version of Thunderbird and your screenshot program? It might be worthwhile seeing if Xandros Networks has any updates available.

I would also double-check your printer property settings to make sure they look normal. You may have an incorrect filter setting for a document type. KDE Print filters are explained here (http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/LinuxKongress2002/Tutorial/I.LinuxKongress-2002-kdeprint/#5_0_9).

Hhel
13-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks again, Jen,
I took your advice and upgraded Thunderbird to 1.02 off the disk with the latest copy of the magazine. Haven't seen the problem of the Filter reappear.

The build date of my version of Xandros is quite recent - the date is significant at 02 /02/2005 as it was the day I turned 65! Presumably, therefore, the Screencapture should be reasonably up to date. When I first started playing with the Screencapture, it would print OK. Perhaps the problem with the filter came about when I used Thunderbird 1.0 and that debris carried over into not allowing printing from Screencapture.

Cheers,
Jim