PDA

View Full Version : Excel Vlookup/subtotals problem

tinakarori
10-07-2005, 06:02 PM
I have an Excel transactions template that allows me to code, sort and sub-total downloaded bank transactions. I can semi-automatically generate a trial balance on a separate worksheet, which uses Vlookup to identify the GL title for each numeric (nnn.n) GL code.

Once I have checked the accuracy of the Trial Balance, I copy the Transactions worksheet to a new sheet, sort the transactions by GL Code and Date, and then use the Subtotal function to generate a General Ledger.

I would like to again use the Vlookup function to put the GL title against each sub-total. However, the function no longer seems to work once the subtotals point has been reached. Can anyone suggest the reason, and/or a solution?

TIA

Tinakarori

Laura
12-07-2005, 07:48 AM
No replies - so Bump

godfather
12-07-2005, 09:40 AM
There are too many unknowns in the question, one would need to have the actual spreadsheet to be able to answer the question.

VLOOKUP is not restricted to a single run, so plainly something else is coming into the issue.

Parry
12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
However, the function no longer seems to work once the subtotals point has been reached. Can anyone suggest the reason, and/or a solution?

1. Check that the data range(2nd argument) is large enough. eg if your range is a1:c500 and the value your looking for is in a600 its not going to find it.

2. Ensure that the first column in the data range contains the values your looking for and that the column your wanting to retrieve (3rd argument) is correct. For example, if you start your data in column C (C2:E500 say) and you want to retrieve column E, then column E is 3 not 5 as its based on the columns in the data range.

Its difficult to offer a solution without seeing the data. You can PM me if you want and I can let you know where to send an example of your file.