PDA

View Full Version : Can't get windows XP to update

wmoore
10-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi

Just upgrade to XP...But my updates aren't working. It seems to download them but they will not install.......comes up with a failed message.

Help!

SurferJoe46
10-07-2005, 04:10 PM
This may not be the answer (as I will surely hear from somebody here) but I had a real lot of trouble too once...or twice. It was my clock was slow...kinda like the NZ timezone! lolololol...anyway..if your clock is off too much (how much too much is, I don't know!) M$ will not let things happen...
...........just a thought....

gibler
10-07-2005, 04:55 PM
One of the easist ways of checking these Windows update error messages is to use the microsoft newsgroup

microsoft windowsupdate newgroup (http://groups.google.co.nz/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate)

SurferJoe46
10-07-2005, 04:59 PM
A friend here in SoCal just called with her answer for this problem..she lurks on F1 and will not post...ahah!

Anyway..she had the same trouble (no, not the clock thing that some nut suggested), that she hadn't gotten the latest because she had missed one or two b4 the ones that failed. So, she says, she had to go to her histories of installed hot fixes and updates and find them one at a time and attempt to install them at that rate. After several days, she got back on tempo again, and the updates are streaming in as they need to.

It seems, so she says again, that there is a definite sequence to the updates and hot fixes. If you get too far away from the order, or miss a really important one (like the new M$ scanner) they will fail all the time....

SurferJoe46
10-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey..who's dissing me about the clock thing?

Glenn
10-07-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm agreeing with surferjoe. If your clock is way off, the Windows Update site will not work. It won't let you download anything. Move your date back a couple of days and try. Surferjoe may be a nut, but he's not imagining things :)

(just kidding about the nut thing) ;-)

FoxyMX
10-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey..who's dissing me about the clock thing?
We have a saying here Joe, that goes like this:

Q. What is the first sign of madness?
A. Talking to yourself.

Q. What is the second sign of madness?
A. Answering yourself!

:D

SurferJoe46
10-07-2005, 05:54 PM
OK I'm kidding about the moon thing...

...in a previous post that is....