PDA

View Full Version : how to make this shortcut

Prescott
10-07-2005, 08:59 AM
when i have my mp3 player connected via usb to my pc, there is a little icon in the system tray. and when i am finished with it i have to right click, remove hardware, find the mp3 player and press stop, is there anyway i can make a shortcut on the desktop that i can double click and it automaticly stops the hardware?

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2005, 09:15 AM
If there's an eject option for it in My computer, (highlight the mp3 player) / right mouse, use this instead.

Prescott
10-07-2005, 09:19 AM
ahh yeap,thats a tad easier, is there a way to make a shortcut to that?

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2005, 09:28 AM
You can create a shortcut to the player.

Highlight it then select create shortcut. And make a shortcut on the desktop.

I think you'll still have to select eject tho.

Or do u want something better than this?

Prescott
10-07-2005, 09:35 AM
i want to be able to make the shortcut so that i can double click it, then it will eject.

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Ok. I gotcha.

I've posted a question in an XP newsgroup.

I'll let u know, if I get an answer, on how to do this.

Prescott
10-07-2005, 09:44 AM
thanks speedy :thumbs:

Jen
10-07-2005, 10:18 AM
All you need to do is a single left-click on the systray icon, and select "saftely remove device" (or whatever the term is). No need for shortcuts, and no need to select device name and go "stop".

Prescott
10-07-2005, 10:19 AM
but i have more removeable hardware....

Jen
10-07-2005, 10:22 AM
but i have more removeable hardware....What do you mean? When I do this with my USB flashpen at work, I just get the one option pop up with the left-click and a then single click removes the device.

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2005, 10:26 AM
It depends what XP detects the device/s as.

Like I've got an internal card reader.

XP shows the Safely remove hardware icon, BUT the card reader has 4 slots.

The digital camera also appears in here, and so does the Ipod.

All appear as USB Mass storage devices (more than 1 removable device).

SurferJoe46
10-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Jen....

is what you are talking about the HotPlug option? :cool:

Jen
10-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Jen....

is what you are talking about the HotPlug option? :cool:I was talking about the standard WinXP option of removing a USB device. If Prescott has multiple USB devices plugged in, then that might not work as well. :)

Another way would be to use the quick keys to open up My Computer by going WinKey+E (WinKey is the key on the bottom row which has the MS flag symbol), and then right-click > Eject the device perhaps.

Rob99
10-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Just yank it out, no need to eject/stop anything, as long as you have finished transfering data to an fro.

Prescott
10-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Just yank it out, no need to eject/stop anything, as long as you have finished transfering data to an fro.

ok fair enough, the reason i wanted to make that shortcut was because when i use it at school, the little "remove hardware" icon is blocked and removed from the taskbar, and access is denied to my computer aswell :rolleyes: i thought it was bad for the flash drive if you just yank it out without turning off.

SurferJoe46
11-07-2005, 04:32 AM
I have multi-usb dynamic (self-powered) hubs, stacked for the 7 or 8 usb devices I run, and I just plug or unplug at will. This arrangement gives me 7 usb slots plus the original 4 in the tower rear and 2 in the front. I was asking about the HotPlug option...but I now remember that it is a stand-alone subprogram that comes with the usb hubs allowing one to install or uninstall any usb device at will.

...and YES, it does slow down my boot-up time a lot, but I like the utility of the system once it's running.

I too have the XP-Pro "Safely Remove Hardware" thing-y, but I have never had to use it...yet. :rolleyes:

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Yup, it depends what kind of device it is, on whether u can put it in and take it out. Without ejecting it first

Some USB devices, u can pull the plug out of a hub. Others u have to eject.

Like USB hdd's / Ipods, and burners most probably or anything that has to write to it, before u remove it. Otherwise, it'll get corrupted.

I use an 8 port 1.1 USB hub here, with a scanner, digital cam, mouse plugged into it, and the hub is plugged into a USB 2 onboard port (8 USB ports onboard).

And the Ipod, and the printer are plugged into the back of the case. All but the Ipod can be unplugged, without using eject. And all get detected on bootup.

Prescott, I got one reply from the newsgroup.

To automate this, you can use deveject.exe available here (includes
C++ source code as well):

ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/listings/0316-208.zip

It's dos based, and 25k. And includes the source code. Only thing is, the readme and source code are in German.

For help, run deveject.exe /? in a command prompt.

Works for Windows 2000/XP/2003.

An example using the EjectName command line switch:
deveject.exe -EjectName:"USB Mass Storage Device"

Metla
11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
I had my USB flash drive plugged into a comp the otherday,(in the rear,unseen and forgotten) Anyhow I had formatted and whatnot and installing drivers, It apears installing the USB drivers with the device plugged in killed it dead.

Tragedy.

Though at the very least I was able to smash it open with my trusty hammer and have a look at the insides.....