PDA

View Full Version : small form factor(?) pc

Ravage
10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi. My old HP pavillion pc has begun making some rather alarming sounds, and as a working computer is very important to me at the moment I have borrowed a friends old Compaq Pressario 3200 series computer.

It is faster, newer operating system, has more HD space and much quieter than my old computer.

Unfortunately it is lacking a network card so I can not connect to the uni network. I would put in my spare ethernet card except that is does not fit as the width of the compaq pressario is about half the width of a normal PC. :groan:

Can you buy these half sized pci components or are they only sold with small form factor PC's. I must admit I've never seen them, nor am I sure what one might call them. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ravage

tweak'e
10-07-2005, 12:16 AM
yes, half height cards are easly advailable.

Greven
10-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Go down to dick smith & ask them. I know their cards will be small enough to fit, but I'm not sure if the brackets to secure them to the case need to be smaller than standard aswell.
I believe the cards that fit in small form factor cases are called "low profile"

Metla
10-07-2005, 12:59 AM
get the pci card, either unscrew the faceplwte or hacksaw to suit,insert.

No good long term,but will get ya up and running

Ravage
10-07-2005, 01:28 AM
Cheers
I'll check out Dick Smith then.

Ravage

tweak'e
10-07-2005, 12:20 PM
get the pci card, either unscrew the faceplwte or hacksaw to suit,insert.

No good long term,but will get ya up and running
only works IF the actuall card part is half height/low profile. some of the early cards are to tall to fit even without the face plate.

Greven
10-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I would be very surprised to find a full height network card being sold as new these days.

dolby digital
10-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Cheers
I'll check out Dick Smith then.

Ravage

If that doesn't work, you can get the usb / ethernet device (assuming it has a usb port).

:waughh:

Ravage
10-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Dick Smith was no help
Ethernet card looks small enough if I can find a new faceplate.
Any other suggestions?
Cheers
Ravage

gibler
10-07-2005, 04:48 PM
How about

usb/nic adapter Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=181368)

or

Low Profile NIC see its pic (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=118611)

?

Metla
10-07-2005, 05:47 PM
only works IF the actuall card part is half height/low profile. some of the early cards are to tall to fit even without the face plate.

Glad that was the only post I made, Due to the binge drinking that was taking place....

.......Muhahahaha.

Ravage
11-07-2005, 12:38 AM
The card does fit...
If I can't find a faceplate I might have to take Metla's suggestion and trim it down ;)

Ravage