PDA

View Full Version : FAQ 45 - Format HD ...but Win XP ?

Strommer
09-07-2005, 08:26 PM
A friend wants to format his HD, WinXP Home, and asked me :nerd: how.
I thought I had a file on this, but cannot :mad: locate it, and a Google search did not reveal anything useful.

PF1 FAQs show:
FAQ #45 - How do I reformat my hard drive?
This FAQ applies mainly to installations of Window 95, 98, ME and 2000.

....but I do not see anything on WinXP. Is it there on the FAQs?

I have a vague memory that perhaps all that is needed is to boot from the WinXP disk and select 'format'. Correct?

Thanks.

Elephant
09-07-2005, 08:46 PM
A friend wants to format his HD, WinXP Home, and asked me http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/nerd.gif how.
I thought I had a file on this, but cannot http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/mad.gif locate it, and a Google search did not reveal anything useful.

PF1 FAQs show:

I have a vague memory that perhaps all that is needed is to boot from the WinXP disk and select 'format'. Correct?

Thanks.

You need to set the BIOS to boot from CD first rather than hard drive or floppy. Insert the WinXP CD and reboot.

The installation will give you the chance to delete partitions and create and format a new partition during the install.

As always save whatever data you need before doing this.

Strommer
10-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks Elephant.
Now, to set the BIOS to boot from the CD, I think F8 needs to be pressed during start-up, correct? I have done this before but cannot recall exactly.

You say "the chance to delete partitions and create and format a new partition" ... I assume that there is an option for formatting the entire HD instead of just a partition, right?

pctek
10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Most PCs it is DEL to enter the BIOS. But laptops and some "brand" PCs have their own key combination. It should tell you when you first boot up which key(s) to press to enter setup.

The XP CD asks first if you wish to install or Repair. Choose install.

The next section about formatting etc depends on the current HDDs arrangement. If you already have partitions setup, you need to delete each of them (if you want it different this time). Then create a new one or more than one.
Then it asks if you wish to format NTFS or Fat32 (only allows certain parition sizes for Fat32).

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2005, 09:47 AM
F8 is usually for safe mode.

On some systems, (like this one) F8 is also used, to select the boot disk, without going into the BIOS. Which can be annoying.

Because u have to press F8, to select the boot disk, and F8 again soon after, to get into safe mode.

On other systems, to get into the BIOS, it will either be F2, F10, or the Delete key.

If u boot from the XP cd, u have the option to format, delete, or create partitions.

FoxyMX
10-07-2005, 06:13 PM
PF1 FAQs show:

At the end of the FAQ there is a little bit of advice and a couple of links to information on reformatting WinXP. Were they of no use to you?

Strommer
10-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks Foxy. Did not see that.

Chilling_Silence
11-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Its been a while, but IIRC WinXP is _very_ similar to Win2K, no?!