PDA

View Full Version : Asus V9520-x Graphics Problems

Tom Drummond
09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi

I'm having problems with my latest upgrade. I changed my graphics card from 32MB (G Force 2mx 100/200) to an Asus V520-x 128MB.

I can't run my games. And that's why I bought it. The screen looks great, and so does the intro screens on Train Sim, Battlefield 1942 and Strmovic IL2, but when the actual game loads the screen colours get saturated with red and yellow and the rest of the graphics are un readable.

I've swapped the card, changed the drivers and even resorted to a clean install of WindowsXP Prof. No luck! The system is 1200 Athlon 256MG RAM and a Philips 17 inch LCD monitor. When I reinstall the old card I have no problems.

Can anyone help please!

pctek
09-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Have you checked DirectX (dxdiag) to see if its reporting everythings ok? And you have the latest directx installed?

Tom Drummond
09-07-2005, 08:47 PM
I have done that too. The install CD installed the latest Directx

chiefnz
09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah that'll be the GeForce FX5200 chip, although it's DX capable it's sort of considered on the lower end of the scale.

For all intense purposes the FX5200 isn't exactly a gaming chip so that's where your 1st kink would be. All I can suggest is that you try running the games at their lower graphics settings. I also spent money on the same card a couple of years ago and experienced the same problems... hell my GF4 MX440 ran GTA better than the FX5200.

You probably don't want to hear this but you will be better of buying another card.

I wish I could offer some other advice but with regard to this particular card there are very few avenues to explore unfortunately.

cheers

chiefnz

memphis
09-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Have you updated your graphic card drivers?

Updated the games themselfs?

Does your computer meet/better the minimum specs for the games?(on the packets of the games)

Do you need to install any monitor softwear/driver updates?

Did you completley get rid of the other cards drivers/softwear so no conflicts?

Any soundcard drivers need installing?

Motherboard softwear installed?

Anything that you haveforgetten to install?

An upgrade would help.

www.pricespy.co.nz for prices computer related.

Agent_24
09-07-2005, 10:30 PM
A low end card should only run slower, not screw up the graphics...

You have the latest DirectX but what about the video card's drivers??

memphis
09-07-2005, 10:38 PM
If you can,take the card back to the shop and get a 6600gt instead very good card for the price and get 512 mb of ram while your there as well. :)

The card you have is good for internet,homework,office work etc....not a gaming card as such.

drcspy
10-07-2005, 07:00 AM
I know the fx5200 is definitely not reccomended for the latest games but to say it's "good for internet,homework,office work etc" is a bit extreme..........hell an 1mb S3 would do that........

drcspy
10-07-2005, 07:02 AM
I have a P4 2.4Ghz 512mb ddr with that exact same video card. It runs battlefield 1942 perfectly, and this person is having troubles with that game. Get the latest drivers and fiddle around with the card settings make sure you got anistropic filtering and antialiasing set to 'application controlled'

pctek
10-07-2005, 09:49 AM
A point about the drivers - you are getting the Nvidia drivers as opposed to the ASUS driver?
And if none of that fixes it I'd take it back too. After all, one thinga about ASUS - the cards have a 3 year warranty!

chiefnz
10-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Yes just add ing on to what drspy has posted... update the drivers for the card and also you may want to consider a RAM upgrade... 256MB isn't really sufficient enough to run XP and games... your system will be starved for resources.... that may be you best port of call... and cheapest.

cheers

chiefnz

Tom Drummond
10-07-2005, 08:16 PM
I do realise that the card is at the lower end of the continuum but better than the 32MB card I'm currently running with no problems other than it is a bit slow.

I have installed the latest drivers and system board drivers too. Is there any BIOS settings than need checking?

chiefnz
10-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Well not really, just check to see if the AGP Aperture size in your BIOS settings is set to 128MB. That's all I can think of that would really have any impact.

I do stress my suggestion to increase your system RAM to at least 512MB.

cheers

chiefnz

memphis
11-07-2005, 05:54 AM
If your a gamer you would not call or buy or sell a computer with a 1200 Athlon and 256mb of ram and a gf fx5200 and say its a good gaming computer thats just a laugh sorry but true.

You miss out on so much eye candy in games with Direct X 9 in newer games and you want to enjoy the game dont you?

I can play bf2 perfectly can you on your computer.

My Gaming Computer at this short moment in time.
And may if need/want to upgrade again after chirstmas.

Cpu 3500+
Ram 2 x 1 gb sticks
Gpu 6800
monitor 21"" Trinitron
Hd 120gb,80gb,80gb (may get bigger hds)
dual dvd burner
combo cdrw/dvd
floppy drive
fan controller
Sc Audigy 2zs
Psu OCZ modstream 450w
Case Antec 3000B

Just listed my specs because others had done so. ;)

Tom Drummond
12-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Is there a BIOS tweak that I could try?

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2005, 06:11 PM
If u installed the 77.72 Nvidia drivers off the Nvidia site, these drivers seem to have that effect, so I found out. I think they're a bit buggy.

I had to go into the properties on the desktop a few times. And go to the card entry. So the colours would go back to normal. The colours seem to be ok on this now.

I think I'm using the same card as u on this.

Tom Drummond
14-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks folks for all your replies. I am having no luck but just to keep the issue clear, I am not a gamer. I just like to play with "Low End?" games and a machine that i have built for a hobby and for that reason would like to be able to sort the problem without taking it to a shop. Looks like I will have to this time! :eek:

Tom Drummond
17-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Got it sorted at the shop, sort of! There seems to be a conflict with the MB which is getting on a bit so the AGP was reduced to X2 from X4 and it has worked, sort of!! Train Sim is good as is Sturmovic IL2 but Battlefield 1942 is less good. The type in the dialogue boxes does not show most of the time, why is that? If you click on it it will work now and again.

Woody
17-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I have a 5200 - came with the machine. Wouldn't run RTCW - most others OK.
Upgraded NVIDIA drivers ex NVIDIA site and no prob's.
Have since installed & run successfuly Half Life 2 and Doom 3 - both run perfectly.
XP SP2, 512Mb RAM 128 Mb 5200 memory.
Good luck

Agent_24
18-07-2005, 12:52 PM
maybe it's a battlefield problem, cos some of the things in my bf1942 main menu occasionally 'dissapear' for no reason (though I have no problem in game, etc)

Do you have your BF1942 patched to the latest version??

jamesyboi
18-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I just sold my asus v9520 geforce 5200 non ultra for $30 to 'jimbo' who posts here.

It works with battlefield 1942 (Desert Combat), battlefield 2, counterstrike source, C&C Generals Zero hour, and many other games ive tried just fine.

Although there was a problem when the graphics 'artifacted' or something and the display went rotton jumbo colours. restarting and leaving it for a while fixed the problem and i think it was to do with heat. the card was extremely hot and didn't have a fan. well... at the time my case fan was playing up also XD

Anyways dont bother reformatting cos i tried that lol. even windows had screwey colours @ one stage. now im happy with my slower-than-usual geforce 6600GT. lags on high in bf2, at some stages. maybe its my cheap mobo. asus a7v600. amd3200 oc'ed without any xtra voltage :D

Metla
18-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I run BF2 on medium settings (6600GT)

And the game always shags around being unplayable for at least 2 minutes when I join a server and get ingame, shes all sweet after that.

No such issues on offline play.

jamesyboi
19-07-2005, 02:36 PM
oh really, you play on medium? how sad..... it runs on high fine. lol.
once you go to high, you can't go back....... the beauty is magical ;)

and halo for pc is cool as with good graphics, but i seem to get horizontal tearing with vsync on, its really just a low framerate when i face a tree and strafe sideways. 'cos its smoother in multiplayer

JimboJones
19-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Yeah, now that I got jamesyboi's FX5200 any one want to buy my GeForce 2 64mb? C'mon, I'm sure some on has a ****ty computer in the home network that isnt compatible for upgrading anything higher than GeForce 2:D Asking price $50 negociatble:D:D

jamesyboi
19-07-2005, 11:06 PM
You're insane jimbo, nobodys gonna buy your old card for more than $15
and if they did, id feel ripped. g2g bye

JimboJones
24-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Acutally, its still being sold new for around $80; look at pricespy.... lol and FX5200 is selling for $60 new..

Tom Drummond
29-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Problems solved. Run the AGP in BIOS at X2 and used Nvidia drivers 61.77. All games are good or at least better than they were before.

Thanks for all the advice and it becoming clear that an upgrage is due/