PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems

Maarten
09-07-2005, 03:26 PM
About two weeks ago, I got a blue screen of death when I tried to start up Windows ME. Only Safe Mode still worked. I brought it up to the PC repair shop last Monday, and got it back on Wednesday. It boots up fine now, but for some reason the sound won't work at all now. In WinAmp, an error message comes up that says:

"Unsupported PCM format. Please change format settings in input plug-in configuration or change output device in WaveOut plug-in configuration."

I've tried that, but different messages - with the same sort of message - still show up. This is the rest of the message:

"Error code: 32
Windows error message:
MMSYSTEM032 The specified format cannot be translated or supported. Use the capabilities function to view supported formats."

In Windows Media Player, the song will play, but I still can't hear any sound. In games, the same thing happens in a few games I've tried (Red Alert 2, StarCraft). WinAmp also seems to have problems playing movie files, except for avi files. I've tried reinstalling the drivers for my sound card (a Creative SoundBlaster PCI128 WDM, and as far as I can tell, the sound card is a part of my motherboard, so it can't have been disconnected by the repair shop people. Also, in Control Panel's 'Sounds and Multimedia' settings, the volume control is grayed out on the 'Sounds' tab, but still at maximum volume, and both 'volume' and 'advanced' settings are grayed out in the 'Audio' tab. Also, there are two Creative SoundBlaster PCI128 WDM's listed in the 'Devices' tab, under Audio Devices. I suspect there's a dll problem, but how do I go about fixing this? Any help would be appreciated.

pctek
09-07-2005, 05:43 PM
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329453.html

Alternatively you could install a new sound card.

Maarten
10-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I know my sound card can handle the format, because it's 'only' four years old, and it played everything fine before it crashed the first time two weeks back. So the problem is that my sound card is fried? I guess I'll have to buy a new one, then. Thanks for the help.

tweak'e
10-07-2005, 12:59 PM
i would be inclined to remove media player and reinstall it.

also check what sound deivices are listed in control panel/ sounds

Maarten
10-07-2005, 01:29 PM
There are two Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM)'s listed, as well as the voice modem. What good would uninstalling WMP do? I normally don't use it, and I don't see how it could be the cause of my computer's sound problems.

tweak'e
10-07-2005, 02:18 PM
bot into safe mode then delete all the sound blaster entries.
then boot into normal mode and reinstall drivers.

WMP tends to interconnect everything. for some functions you must have WMP installed. its not uncomman to have a broken WMP which causes similar problems. i've also had itr where doing a dirty reinstall (install windows over the top) was the only way to get the sound working.

it also depends on what the tech has done to fix your pc. the dual sound blaster entries can also inticate poor driver install so i would check the motherboard drivers as well.