PDA

View Full Version : converting Jpeg into JPG or Gif?

bigmit37
09-07-2005, 11:22 AM
How would I go about coverting a JPEG file in to either JPG or GIF. I am trying to upload some pics onto a site.

Thank you.

Jen
09-07-2005, 11:33 AM
jpeg and jpg are identical file formats, just one is spelt with an 'e'. Some websites filter out non jpg characters (which includes jpeg) which can cause a problem. All you need to do is to right-click on your jpeg image and select "rename". Remove the extra 'e' out of the jpeg extension to make it a jpg and accept it (push Enter). That's it. :)

bigmit37
09-07-2005, 12:08 PM
jpeg and jpg are identical file formats, just one is spelt with an 'e'. Some websites filter out non jpg characters (which includes jpeg) which can cause a problem. All you need to do is to right-click on your jpeg image and select "rename". Remove the extra 'e' out of the jpeg extension to make it a jpg and accept it (push Enter). That's it. :)

Sorry but I am a little confused. I tried to rename it like you said but I end up renaming the title of the picture and not the format itself. what am i doing wrong?

FoxyMX
09-07-2005, 12:13 PM
If your picture is called photo.jpeg then do as Jen instructed and rename it to photo.jpg.

Another way is to click once on the file in Windows Explorer to highlight it, press F2, type the desired new name (eg photo.jpg) and press Enter.

If that does not work or you are still confused please tell us exactly what you are doing to rename your image.

Jen
09-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Can you see the extension of the file eg photo1.jpeg or does it just say photo1? If the extension is not visible, then you need to go to Tools > Folder Options > View. Untick the option to "Hide extensions for known file types" and then click OK. You should now be able to see the extension for your files.

bigmit37
09-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Can you see the extension of the file eg photo1.jpeg or does it just say photo1? If the extension is not visible, then you need to go to Tools > Folder Options > View. Untick the option to "Hide extensions for known file types" and then click OK. You should now be able to see the extension for your files.

Ohhhh ok that helped, thank you, but I have another problem. It seems the file is still too big.I converted into a GIF and it went down a megabyte or so. It is currently 1.62 megabytes with the dimensions 3072x 2304. I need the photo to be around 600 kb or less. Is there anything I can do about this?

Jen
09-07-2005, 12:44 PM
You do realise you cannot convert a jpg to a gif by renaming the file? It is an entirely different file format. Jpeg and jpg are identical file formats which is why you can rename them.

What operating system do you use and what image software do you have currently installed? If you have WinXP, then the fastest and most basic way of resizing images is to install Image Resizer which is part of the Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP. You can find it here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx), just look down the right hand column for the Image Resizer (521 KB). Once you have installed this, you just need to right-click on an image and select "Resize Image" and then try out the different sizes until you have a suitable file size.

FoxyMX
09-07-2005, 12:47 PM
You need to resize your picture down to something like 800 x 600 - that will also reduce the file size.

If you have Windows XP right click on the file and choose Resize Pictures then select the Medium size.

If you have another version of Windows you can use a graphics program to resize the pictures, eg Irfanview, Picasa or FastStone Image Viewer. All of those programs are free.

Edit: Darn, too slow. :p

bigmit37
09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh ok...I guess there was no point in renaming it. What I actually did was just go to the edit option and then saved as a Gif file.

As for the image resizer, I just downloaded it and am about to install it. Hopefully I wont run into any problems.

Thank you guys, you have been great.

bigmit

Edit:

Wow its extremely simple. Thank you soo much once again.