PDA

View Full Version : Win XP fails to initialise

BillIrwin
09-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi
My son has a pc that has been hacked around by his uni mates (athlon 2100, soltek sl-75kav/x, xp pro ) and now I can only get to part way through loading. It pauses at the generic Windows XP screen, and while the mouse pointer moves everything else is non responsive. Same thing happens in safe mode except I get the message SESSION3_INITIALZATION_FAILED then a stop code 0x0000006F.

I have tried booting from an XP instal cd, figuring I'd just reformat and reinstall. It stops at the same point. Tried different combos of memory in/out.

More background: just prior to this a slave hdd had been removed. Also a newish dvd burner had been replaced with a dvd rom drive (there is also a seperate cdrw drive that wasn't touched). He was basically stripping it down to sell. We tried hooking back up the original configuration but no luck.

ok so if anyone has some suggestions to follow they would be much appreciated!

Bill

godfather
09-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Check the BIOS settings, turn off any BIOS shadowing.

BillIrwin
09-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Check the BIOS settings, turn off any BIOS shadowing.
thanks for the speedy reply, video shadowing was the only one enabled - disabled that but still no go

godfather
09-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Its most likely hardware related, could even be the hard drive or motherboard, since you have eliminated (hopefully) the RAM.

RAM is the ususal suspect for that error.

BillIrwin
09-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Its most likely hardware related, could even be the hard drive or motherboard, since you have eliminated (hopefully) the RAM.

RAM is the ususal suspect for that error.

thanks, I have another hdd I can swap in, I'll try that next

godfather
09-07-2005, 07:37 PM
But be aware that it may generate a whole new set of problems, if it tries to boot an installation of XP that has not been installed on that exact hardware.

It force feeds all the wrong drivers to the motherboard and usually fails. It may get you far enough to prove the HDD was the problem perhaps but don't expect it to work.

BillIrwin
09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
I managed to do a new install of winxp of my spare hdd - then hooked up my original as a slave, where I could format it. Now I should be able to reinstate it as the master hdd and install win there. Still not exactly sure what the problem was but I'm progressing in the right way thanks to your help!

godfather
09-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Sounds all good, and thanks for the feedback on progress.

beama
10-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Bill
Xp Home or Pro?
how many hard ware changes have you made? (more than Five)
If more than five.............
xp monitors hardware changes and if more than five are made it assumes that it being used on a pc other than it was installed on.

my suggestion is
save any data you can access , In the past ive used a knoppix disk and a usb pen drive for this

delete the partition on the master disk do not use fdisk if the disk capicity is more than 32 gig you may have problems later (I think Qpart is also on the knoppix disk this will also delete disk partitions >30gig)

boot with the xp disk and reinstall

BTW
Knoppix is a live linux cd if you are ok with windows you should be able to find your way round knoppix.

You simply boot off the knoppix cd and the linux os loads into and runs from ram. If you do use this method, one thing I didnt metion is you have to adjust the permissions on the pen drive once its mounted to allow writing to, default permissions are read only.

BillIrwin
10-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi

yes, it is xp pro and I think the number of changes must have been the issue. Luckily I'm not worried about saving data, I was just looking for a fresh install but it wouldn't let me even do that. I seem to have it sorted now though.

I've read about knoppix, seems like it is worth having on hand. It's a mega download though isn't it? Are there local resellers of the disk for a nominal fee, as happens with Open Office?

FoxyMX
10-07-2005, 05:34 PM
I've read about knoppix, seems like it is worth having on hand. It's a mega download though isn't it? Are there local resellers of the disk for a nominal fee, as happens with Open Office?
I have found my Knoppix disc to be quite handy a couple of times. Not entirely sure but I think I have read here that you can get it from DSE.

beama
11-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Foxy
yep dse has the latest knoppix release I think it was a two cd release I saw. Knoppix and Morpix for around $9.00.

FoxyMX
11-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for confirming that for me, Beama.