PDA

View Full Version : S.P.2,re PC Company

Cicero
08-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Re suitability of PC/C kit for installing SP2.
It was suggested I post friends hardware b4 installing sp2.

2gig Pentium 4.
8kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kb secondary memory cache.
Board the PCComany s.
Bios,100meg
Bios software Interr inc 6.00 PG 04/29/2002.'
Help would be appreciated.
Oh...Windows XP home SP 1(build 2600)

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2005, 08:11 PM
SP2 will install on anything.

As long as u check for spyware and remove it if u have any.

Or u have a Prescott CPU (if u get the patch for it first). Before installing SP2.

Altho if there is a BIOS update, it might pay to flash it to the latest (if any)

Jen
08-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Altho if there is a BIOS update, it might pay to flash it to the latest (if any)Why would someone risk losing their motherboard to flash the BIOS if there aren't any problems? Haven't heard of SP2 requiring a modern PC to have its BIOS flashed before.

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2005, 08:21 PM
I didnt say it had to be modern. I said it might help with a BIOS update.

Metla
08-07-2005, 08:23 PM
make sure she is spyware and virus free,and that the HD has been scanned for errors and shes had a defrag.

In other words,bathed and powdered.......

Cicero
08-07-2005, 08:31 PM
make sure she is spyware and virus free,and that the HD has been scanned for errors and shes had a defrag.

In other words,bathed and powdered.......
Ha ha.
Thanks all.
Funny you should mention a defrag,did a disc clean up and was doing a defrag,she asked what was that was all about,she has had compu since 2002 and hadn't done one.
How do you scan hd for errors?

Myth
08-07-2005, 09:01 PM
How do you scan hd for errors?Double click on My Computer, then right click on the drive you want scanned, then go to Properties, then select to Tools tab
Click on error checking

plod
08-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Ha ha.
Thanks all.
Funny you should mention a defrag,did a disc clean up and was doing a defrag,she asked what was that was all about,she has had compu since 2002 and hadn't done one.
How do you scan hd for errors?
I f the computer hasn't had a defrag since 2002 it might be prudent to do a fresh install before installing sp2

pctek
08-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Re suitability of PC/C kit for installing SP2.
It was suggested I post friends hardware b4 installing sp2.

2gig Pentium 4.
8kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kb secondary memory cache.
Board the PCComany s.
Bios,100meg
Bios software Interr inc 6.00 PG 04/29/2002.'
Help would be appreciated.
Oh...Windows XP home SP 1(build 2600)
You missed the only important bit - how much room is there on the HDD? SP2 likes to back stuff up first and it requires a reasonable amount of room, if this is quite an old PC the HDD may be quite small.

Cicero
08-07-2005, 09:57 PM
You missed the only important bit - how much room is there on the HDD? SP2 likes to back stuff up first and it requires a reasonable amount of room, if this is quite an old PC the HDD may be quite small.
You shall have the info pronto.

c.NTFS on drive 60.02 49 free.

Cicero
08-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Double click on My Computer, then right click on the drive you want scanned, then go to Properties, then select to Tools tab
Click on error checking
Thanks Mythix,senior moment there,done that b4 but had forgotten.
Re doing a rebuild,quite happy to do my own,but not on someone elses.
I will get it fairly clean b4 sp2ing.Thank again people.

bartsdadhomer
08-07-2005, 11:03 PM
It should install fine on most machines without P4 Prescott CPU's and also most systems with Prescotts.
DO NOT update the BIOS if you haven't got a Prescott CPU unless the board is already having BIOS related problems.

Even if you have a Prescott check the board manufacturers site and compare your existing BIOS revision with those listed on the site.
If the site says your revision supports Prescott, then SP2 will install fine, no need for an update.

If not then it's up to you whether you think risking a dead motherboard with a bad flash is worth installing SP2.
Personally I don't. The additions SP2 makes to your system can easily be "made up through free 3rd party apps etc. Its' mostly security related.

The Prescott problem is in basic terms a L1/L2 cache issue so if you do install SP2 and the machine refuses to boot afterwards all is not lost.
Simply disable the L1 & L2 cache in the BIOS (if your BIOS will let you, I'd check that out before I started) boot to safe mode & uninstall SP2 in Add/Remove programs. It'll be slow as a schoolboy but it'll get there eventually (couple of hours)
Boot to normal mode and make sure all is normal, then make the decision re- leaving as is or risking the BIOS update.

Note that some boards may not have a BIOS update available so you'll be stuck.
The first Prescotts came out about June 2004 so if your PC is earlier than that you'll be fine

Cicero
08-07-2005, 11:32 PM
The data available is via Belarc.
All it says re main circuit board is PCComany board,no mention of prescott.
So a bit vauge there.

Sleepy
09-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Just a question, so if your looking at upgrading to a prescott cpu then you could have problems? What if you already have sp2 installed? and want to upgrade to a prescott cpu. Is it best to do a fresh install of xp.

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2005, 02:54 AM
I have to agree, I fail to see the point of a BIOS upgrade.

Having never done one myself, yet still installed XP SP2 on countless PCs!

Cicero
09-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Thank you sneezy,not sure where the idea that I wanted to go to a presscott came from,all I want to do is SP2 friends machine.

Prescott
09-07-2005, 09:19 AM
BIOS updates are scary... :horrified :badpc:

TeejayR
10-07-2005, 07:31 AM
The other problem with some PC Company machines is that they used to flash the bios with an identifier/utility that only let their Recovery CD's be used if that identifier was present.

A subsequent BIOS flash may erase this identifier.