PDA

View Full Version : write error, probably disk is full

lkelly
08-07-2005, 07:07 PM
W XP Pro sp1, fat 32. Problem started with Norton antivirus 2005 live update reporting corrupt update list and not working. Various tactics tried from symantec site, no help. Tried downloading new live update, initially when clicked on link for this it would instantly reboot my computer, downloaded copy on another computer but would not install but would give error "write error, probably disk is full". Disk has 20gb free proven by copying files on and off from server. Tried uninstalling, cleaning all files with symantec norton antivirus removal tool then re installing, but would stall and report above error (while doing the liveupdate part of install). Have done spyware and 2x online virus scans all clear. Cleaned up disk and run scandisk, all ok. when tried to run the symantec intelligent virus def update it again reported above error. Downloaded AVG antivirus but when tried to open that reports same error. Found another free a/v program that installed no problem.
The stalls and write error messages seem to happen assoc with the programs doing something with .txt files as part of the install.
my hair is all falling out and I'm thinking of buying a sledge hammer.
A box of chocolates and eternal gratitude to whoever sorts this out. I have had a thread on experts-exchange but no good so far.

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Defrag in safe mode, disable hibernation. Check for errors.

Get this http://www.ccleaner.com clean the files on your system.

How big is the hard drive? Would have been better formatting in NTFS.

pctek
08-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Would have been better formatting in NTFS.
Oooh. That sounds a bit like WinXP is the cure. How does that have any bearing? My PC is in Fat32 and I don't have any install issues.

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2005, 07:42 PM
NTFS can deal with bigger hdd's. FAT cant.

And FAT can't handle files bigger than 4GB. NTFS can. You also get more options (for security) in XP Pro, if the hdd is formatted in NTFS.

There's a lot of advantages NTFS has that FAT hasn't got / or can't do.

The only thing with NTFS is, if the system crashes, a floppy cant read NTFS, unless u make a floppy which has the files required to read NTFS on it.

I dont think formatting in FAT or NTFS makes a diff, when installing whatever tho.

Don't try formatting in NTFS on anything but 2000/XP + tho.

As it wont work. Some systems will only work if u format in FAT/FAT32.

Myth
08-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Don't try formatting in NTFS on anything but 2000/XP + tho. What about Windows NT? :p
Can't forget that one :)

pctek
08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
NTFS can deal with bigger hdd's. FAT cant.

And FAT can't handle files bigger than 4GB. NTFS can. You also get more options (for security) in XP Pro, if the hdd is formatted in NTFS.

I dont think formatting in FAT or NTFS makes a diff, when installing whatever tho.

I knew that - my point was the file system chosen should have nothing to do with this problem of the live update.
And there are some advantages to Fat32 over NTFs too....

Speedy Gonzales
09-07-2005, 11:17 AM
As I said in the 4th post FAT32 may have nothing to do with the install prob.

I said it would be better formatting it in NTFS.