PDA

View Full Version : Restoring settings and docs after formatting

naughtyboy2
08-07-2005, 06:06 PM
I've just completed a full HDD format, having used Windows Backup utility to save my settings and documents on our network server. I formatted the HDD, restored the OS (Win XP Pro) using the original disks, followed (I thought) Backup's Restore wizard to put my settings and docs back in their original locations but have found that all 2.7GB is/are sitting smugly in my Documents and Settings folder in C drive. How can I now restore them to the places from which I originally wrenched them ?

Laura
10-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Nobody's helped you yet - so bump...

naughtyboy2
14-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for your considered, cretinous reply ; wouldn't your time have been better spent tidying your room ?

Myth
14-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your considered, cretinous reply ; wouldn't your time have been better spent tidying your room ?Wouldn't your time be better spent figuring out she was trying to help you by putting your post back up near the top.

Some people just have no [expletives] idea

Metla
14-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Muhahahaha.

I can see everyone racing to help now, In this case I would say something like "Smell my finger" but that went down so poorly last time I shall keep it to myself......

Scouse
14-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Metla. You beat me to it. Your response made my day. My wife just came in wondering what the hell I was laughing at. ;)

drcspy
14-07-2005, 05:47 PM
naughtyboy(s) are usually sent to their room to play by themselves and ponder their wrongs.......

godfather
14-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks for your considered, cretinous reply ; wouldn't your time have been better spent tidying your room ?

In case it has not sunk in yet naughtboy2, Laura was doing you a favour by "bumping" the post, to bring it back to the top of the list so others that may have missed it and could help would see it.

At the very least you owe an apology to Laura, but as also suggested help could be harder to find after that remark.

Renmoo
14-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Muhahahaha.

I can see everyone racing to help now, In this case I would say something like "Smell my finger" but that went down so poorly last time I shall keep it to myself......
I wish I could understand the joke Metla is trying to tell. Could someone tell me why is it so funny? Since no one yet has posted anything useful that might help naughtyboy, "rebump".

Cheers :)

naughtyboy2
15-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Ooops ! My unreserved apologies for my spiteful post, Laura -but, please if you're helping a (very) junior member, a note about what you are doing would be good. Even at this stage I'm not sure what you were intending. Thanks for your smacks, Tazz, Metha, Scouse, drcspy, godfather : you were right, I was wrong. Special thanks to you jameskan.

SurferJoe46
15-07-2005, 04:07 PM
naughtyboy2:

I like to make smartass comments too, but my problem is when the people here speak NZ...(like the time someone sent me a chocky-fish...I waited for a few days to see what it meant! (it was a good thing, not bad)).

Anyway, I too get lost on the terms here, but I find that ALMOST everybody here is a good sort and I am really beside myself trying to understand the lingo. However, I am going to stick it out and see if I can learn the stuff these people have to teach me. Except for Mr. Metla...(hahahahah)
<signed>
A US Yank.

Laura
17-07-2005, 05:06 AM
For naughtyboy2:

Your point is taken about the "bump" word being confusing.
If you check back to a thread named Networking Issues, which dayze made on 14-07-05, reading the first 4 posts should explain more.

And for you experts:

OK. He's apologised now.
So will you smart fellers & felleresses give him a hand with his problem?
P.S. Wow - Friday's shutdown must've put the clock on speed. It's not THAT late at my place...

Jen
18-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Did you follow the instructions as given here - How to use Backup to restore files and folders on your computer in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309340/EN-US/)

naughtyboy2
25-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks Jen et al : I went back through the Backup programme and my docs and settings were miraculously restored, phew. I've obviously to be more careful when running Backup Restore.