PDA

View Full Version : Updating Gentoo

jcr1
08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Home after being away since mid April (spent 8 extremely enjoyable and interesting weeks in UK, so now are familiar with those places in London currently in the news. Plus Hong Kong, China, BC and Hawaii).
But now I'm back to reality and should update my Gentoo system; currently I'm doing an "emerge --sync". Then I suppose I should do "emerge --update world".
Bearing in mind the time since I last did an update, is this likely to take a long time to complete? Would it be practical to jump straight to "emerge --update --deep world"?
Any thoughts from the Gentooists? :thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
08-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah, emerge -uDpv world

Then set your USE flags in /etc/make.conf if they need changing, then drop the -pv and emerge -uD world

jcr1
08-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Thankyou Chill; isn't this the beauty of Gentoo :D . I can have an up-to-date system with just a few simple commands.

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2005, 03:06 AM
emerge porthole guitoo

Check them out, they are both nice frontends that some people prefer.

Personally I'll stick to the command-line. esearch makes life that little bit easier too, but now Im diverging from said topic ;)

jcr1
09-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah, emerge -uDpv world

Then set your USE flags in /etc/make.conf if they need changing, then drop the -pv and emerge -uD world
Amazing, I did above, started about 4pm, left running overnight (of course) and its up to 68 out of 125. Obviously a lot of updating needed since mid-April.
This on wireless internet at 256 Kb (nominally - probably closer to 240).
The front end sounds like it could be worth a look, just out of curiosity, but I think I prefer the command line where I understand it.
My son in London was annoyed when his firm got him to set up some servers running windows (server 2003?), that had been salvaged from a branch they were closing down. Up to that time he'd been using Debian on the other servers they set up (24 of them from memory). He reckoned he had far more confidence setting up from the command line than using a GUI.........now I digress, sorry.

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Try this:
emerge -Udf world

give it a couple of minutes then start another terminal session and emerge -Ud world

You need to give it a couple of minutes because otherwise you'll end up compiling so quickly you'll catch up with downloads. That'd happen all the time on my P4 2.8Ghz ;)

I think your son and me would get on very well ;) Ive gotta agree with him there. Been using WinXP x64 a bit over the last few days... Give me Gentoo anyday (Going to finish compiling/optimising it this weekend).

jcr1
09-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Try this:
emerge -Udf world

give it a couple of minutes then start another terminal session and emerge -Ud world

You need to give it a couple of minutes because otherwise you'll end up compiling so quickly you'll catch up with downloads. That'd happen all the time on my P4 2.8G

Done! Thanks Chill. I've got togo out for a couple of hours now, so it'll be interesting to see progress when I get back.