PDA

View Full Version : Hard disk drive 0 not found

Marshmellow
08-07-2005, 01:43 PM
My notebook with XP Home Edition has started up with the error "Hard disk drive 0 not found". Any ideas on how to fix it will gratefully appreciated

Nintendow
08-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Could u enter the BIOS checking the harddisk in "HDD 0" option from the IDE, while ur laptop startup? Making Sure ur hdd is not physically problem.

Graham L
09-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Wecome to PressF1.

How old is the computer? If it's still in the guarantee period, the best approach is to get the vendor to fix it. ;) It's quite likely to be a hardware problem. :(

You probably have a "restore to factory" CD rather than a full OS CD, but you could try booting from the CD. If it gives a "repair" option rather than a "reinstall", that's worth a try. A reinstall will probably lose everything you have. (But I fear that you might have lost things, already.)

That error message indicates a real hardware problem. But someone else might have other, more hopeful, ideas. It would help to know the make and model of the computer, and the OS.

Marshmellow
09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Diagnostics tell me I haven't got a hard drive! As it is still under warranty the best thing I can do is ring Dell. Unfortunately, nothing is backed so I will lose all my Uni work I suppose.

Graham L
10-07-2005, 02:27 PM
You might be lucky. ;) Mention that the data are valuable to you, and they may manage to get something for you.

Backup isn't optional. ;) Even floppies are usable. You can "Save As" text all your Word files. They are much smaller like that. It's possible to have the text of several books on a single floppy.

Marshmellow
17-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for help, everone. Rang Dell and they sent someone to replace the hard drive. Nothing could be saved! Very impressed with the sevice though.
Where I live is considered to be too remote for Telecom and broadband but I was able to ring Dell in Malaysia and they managed to get someone to me! Next question - how do I do a backup with XP Home?

Scouse
17-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi Marshmellow. XP home does not have Backup loaded by default. You need to load it from your CD. Look here (http://windows.about.com/od/shortcutsquickieshowto/l/aa020203a.htm) for a workthrough. ;)