PDA

View Full Version : RoboForm

symiggy
07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Does anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of, this program.
Supposedly it fills out forms online and manages the increasing burden of memorizing multiple passwords and login names that we accumulate over time.
The specks sound very attractive but I was wondering if there was a catch such as the possibility of spyware associated especially with the free version of the program. :help:

CorbinH
07-07-2005, 05:50 PM
i used to have that program cuz i got it cuz i thought it sounded really cool then i realized i dont need it that much and that i wasnt ready to enter my stock trading account name and password into it and alot of other passwords so i just got rid of it... but u might find it use ful for email and such... as for spy ware i dont think it has any but im not sure i had roboform a good while ago...

Myth
08-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Does anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of, this program.
Supposedly it fills out forms online and manages the increasing burden of memorizing multiple passwords and login names that we accumulate over time.
The specks sound very attractive but I was wondering if there was a catch such as the possibility of spyware associated especially with the free version of the program. :help:Personally I am against the browser/OS automatically filling in forms based on a security point of view (phishing schemes etc)
If you are thinking of buying a program like that (or even trialing one), read up on it thoroughly. How well does it encrypt the info its storing?
Also, how secure is your system?

Roboguy
08-07-2005, 11:43 AM
1) RoboForm can encrypt using DES/3DES/AES/RC6 etc (strongest encryption available).

2) RF contains No Adware, No Spyware, No Malware of any kind in either their free, or pro software as per their license/privacy policy:

http://www.roboform.com/license.html

3) Software has been downloaded over 5 million times, named "Best Software of the year "- CNET's download.com, PC Magazine Editor's choice (5 stars), and written up (very favorably) by hundreds of prominent news publications

4) The program (though not an anti-spyware product) can actually PREVENT attacks... ie- Because it does not use the keyboard to fill forms & passwords, it can bypass keylogging software. Because RF stores matching URL strings along WITH logons/passwords it will NOT offer to fill a rogue site (phishing scheme) that claims to be (as example) bankofnewzealend.com (note misspelling).

5) The program contains a password generator so a user can easily create STRONG passwords such as $6KbC#VO%X06vD

6) The unfortunate alternatives that people who do NOT use a secure password management system is that they use easily cracked/hacked passwords such as "password",a spouses name, name of favorite singing group,pets name,etc.

7) When they do use a more secure password, they have them insecurely stored on their pc monitor on sticky notes, or simply use one password for ALL their different web logons.

8) For DOUBLE security, run the RoboForm "Pass2Go" product, which requires not only the RF master password, but a physical key (USB flash drive) as well.

FoxyMX
08-07-2005, 02:13 PM
5) The program contains a password generator so a user can easily create STRONG passwords such as $6KbC#VO%X06vD

7) When they do use a more secure password, they have them insecurely stored on their pc monitor on sticky notes, or simply use one password for ALL their different web logons.
So what happens when the hard drive crashes and takes everything with it, including all those encrypted strong passwords that were most likely not written down and stored elsewhere?

Would be lots of fun resetting all those passworded accounts again, I would imagine.

Roboguy
09-07-2005, 12:57 AM
RoboForm includes a back-up/restore function. This is no differant than backing up your important data on any drive.

symiggy
09-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Roboguy:

8) For DOUBLE security, run the RoboForm "Pass2Go" product, which requires not only the RF master password, but a physical key (USB flash drive) as well.

Thanks for your information.
Can you tell me a bit more about the "Pass2Go" product and where I can get it to evaluate.

beama
09-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I spy with my little eye a thread title and and nic name that share somthing, Ponders..........................................

Roboguy
12-07-2005, 02:23 AM
1) You can find out about RF & Pass2Go directly from the website roboform.com

2) My moniker is "Roboguy" as in I work for the company... no conspiracy intended...