PDA

View Full Version : Norton Anti-Virus

JJJJJ
05-07-2005, 06:08 AM
I have read numerous posts in this forum saying that NAV is rubbish. It does this , It does that. It's a memory hog.
How true are these statements? I have been useing NAV for the past 12 years and do not have a single complaint about it.
As I am having a possible memory problem at the moment I stopped NAV from loading ,in Msconfig.
It made absolutely no difference.
Are there any GENUINE problems with NAV?

pctek
05-07-2005, 09:30 AM
They are true. If you have not had any problems, good. But some people do. I find if its working, ok, well and good. It does slow older systems noticably.
But, if it gets a problem, it often doesn't have one quietly to itself, it takes Windows with it.
Check with Akld Unis IT dept - they have had exactly the same experiences and quite a few of the support staff there now hate it.

Greg
05-07-2005, 12:55 PM
If you haven't had problems you're all good and fine. But I hate it because diagnosing problems on someone else's machine is a biatch if they have it installed.

Greg
05-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I am having a possible memory problem at the moment I stopped NAV from loading ,in Msconfig.
It made absolutely no difference.

Sorry mate - disabling NAV doesn't cure old age memory loss. ;)

Rob99
05-07-2005, 03:18 PM
What do you use your computer for??

FoxyMX
05-07-2005, 04:02 PM
What do you use your computer for??
You obviously haven't been following Jack's Flight Sim saga, Rob. :p

Rob99
05-07-2005, 04:21 PM
You obviously haven't been following Jack's Flight Sim saga, Rob. :pProbally not :p to you to :D

I would shut down NAV if playing a flight Sim.

I dont have any probs with Norton, not that I would ever have it on my computer, I make heaps of money by removing it.

Common problem:
"My new HP/Compac/Dell/etc is running slow, can you fix it?"

The easy fix is to rid the machine of Norton and replace with Nod32, most of the time I stick in an extra 512Mb of ram too.

Norton is a majior hog, you may not notice if you only use the computer for light tasks.