PDA

View Full Version : Free Partition Program???

CorbinH
04-07-2005, 05:15 PM
i have looked every were for a decent partitioner and cannot find one can any one tell me of a free one that can keep my old files and make a new partition 10 gb big with only 30 used of my 80 gb hd?

tweak'e
04-07-2005, 05:32 PM
er......no. not if you want a non-distructive windows partition program.

ranish (http://www.ranish.com/part/) is very good. however its not designed for what you want. however if you move all the data on the disk to the front of the disk then you can saftly partition the free space behind the data.

the nearest thing to what you want is a linux partition prog (wheres chill hiding!)
or go buy partition magic or a similar program.

Jen
04-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Try SystemRescue (http://www.sysresccd.org/). It is a live-CD which means you just boot the CD to run the programs without loading Windows. The QTParted on it is a Partition Magic clone and can non-destructively partition hard drives including those formatted with NTFS.

But please be aware, things can go wrong and you can lose all your data. Backup anything important first.

CorbinH
05-07-2005, 06:10 PM
er......no. not if you want a non-distructive windows partition program.

ranish (http://www.ranish.com/part/) is very good. however its not designed for what you want. however if you move all the data on the disk to the front of the disk then you can saftly partition the free space behind the data.

the nearest thing to what you want is a linux partition prog (wheres chill hiding!)
or go buy partition magic or a similar program.

how do u move data to the front of the HD??? i think if i moved it to the front i should be safe since ive only used 30 gigs or so of a 80 gig hard drive and i just wanna make a 10GB partition for my sisters song (which drive me crazy) on the end of the HD.... also i might try the live cd approach

tweak'e
05-07-2005, 08:54 PM
how do u move data to the front of the HD???
i've used defrag, tho it may depend on what defrag program you use as some don't give you any optoins to change files locations.

Chilling_Silence
05-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Thats what the Windows one does by default thou admittedly.

Its not perfect, and sometimes stuff is left hanging at the end of the drive :-/

Qtparted will tell you how small it can shrink safely thou

CorbinH
06-07-2005, 09:32 AM
ok i ran the defragger windows supplied it has some "unmovable files" at the end??? is it possible to move them? and if i cant move them how do i find out what they are and i might just overwrite them

CorbinH
07-07-2005, 06:29 AM
bump

FoxyMX
07-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I would suggest disabling your swap file then defragging in safe mode. Windows may then be able to move the unmovable files.

Chilling_Silence
07-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Run a Scandisk first as well, they may be corrupt files. Then degfrag as FoxyMX said - Best way of getting the ideal defrag :)

CorbinH
07-07-2005, 05:22 PM
ok ya'll ill try running defrag in safe mode (swap file means page file/virtual memory right???) im gonna run the defrag when i go to sleep... (its midnight where i live right now) so ill see if it works tommorow, but that still leaves the problem of finding a free partitioning program...

FoxyMX
07-07-2005, 05:27 PM
(swap file means page file/virtual memory right???)
Yes, that is correct.

What version of Windows are you running? How many partitions does the hard drive currently have? If there is more than one, what size is it/they and how much space is free?

CorbinH
07-07-2005, 05:41 PM
win xp sp2, 1 partition 74.5 GB, 31.9 used, 42.6 free. and i hate to sound stupid (once again) but disk clean up and scan disk are the samething right cuz i just ran disk clean up and it got like 15megs of files total cleaned up but the unmovable file is big... on the defrag thing it shows up big enough where i would guess its between 2-6 gigs hmmmm so now that i think about it i bet it is my page file ("swap file" as some would put it since my page file is starting at 2 gigs with 4 gig max... also to move the page file in defrag do i just need to start up in safe mode or do also need to disable the virtual memory temporarly??? also normal safe mode or command prompt safe mode??? if command prompt safe mode the command for the defrag program to open is like "defrg" or msdfrg or something isnt it???

FoxyMX
07-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Disk clean up and scandisk are not the same, no. Disk clean up will clear out temporary and temp internet files, empty the recycle bin and that kind of thing. Scandisk checks the hard drive for errors.

Doing a disk clean up is a good idea before a defrag though and recommended. I use CCleaner to do clean ups.

The last time I defragged I had a few large immovable files that were cleared by turning off the virtual memory and defragging in safe mode. To turn it off, press the Windows and Pause keys to get System Properties, go to the Advanced tab, Performance settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory, change. In there select the option No Paging File and click the Set button then OK your way out.

Use normal safe mode and Start>Run and type in DFRG.MSC to defrag. If you want to use the command prompt safe mode I guess you can but I have never tried it.

When that is done don't forget to go back and enable your virtual memory again.

CorbinH
08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Disk clean up and scandisk are not the same, no. Disk clean up will clear out temporary and temp internet files, empty the recycle bin and that kind of thing. Scandisk checks the hard drive for errors.

Doing a disk clean up is a good idea before a defrag though and recommended. I use CCleaner to do clean ups.

The last time I defragged I had a few large immovable files that were cleared by turning off the virtual memory and defragging in safe mode. To turn it off, press the Windows and Pause keys to get System Properties, go to the Advanced tab, Performance settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory, change. In there select the option No Paging File and click the Set button then OK your way out.

Use normal safe mode and Start>Run and type in DFRG.MSC to defrag. If you want to use the command prompt safe mode I guess you can but I have never tried it.

When that is done don't forget to go back and enable your virtual memory again.
ok thanks for the help i think that disabling the page file should work and ill try it tommorow.... its 1:10 in the morning where i live so im going to bed...

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2005, 01:57 AM
BTW - Thats a MASSIVE swap file... Even by Windows XP standards!

CorbinH
09-07-2005, 06:41 PM
lol yeah i know thats a massive swap file that was because i only had 256mb of ram... i got a new comp today lol... new comp is 182gb hd 1 gig ram and amd athlon 3500+ processor (runs 2.2 gigaherts) any ways now i want to partition my new comps hard drive lol i already check and no pesky little files unmovable at the end all i have is everything at the front that is movable except what i think are the windows fiels... any ways i have a good 165gb at least thats empty so im lookin to make a couple partitions... so to my point... do u know of a free program that i can make some partitions with???

CorbinH
10-07-2005, 02:48 PM
bump

Jen
10-07-2005, 03:36 PM
You tried out the SystemRescue CD with the free non-destructive partitioner that I suggested first off and it was not suitable?

If you have a new computer which was supplied with a separate XP disk (not a recovery partition), then you can always reformat the machine and during installation create your partitions that way. You will then need to reload all the motherboard drivers, modem drivers, other software etc if you choose to reformat and reinstall.

CorbinH
10-07-2005, 04:24 PM
oh sorry i missed ur post about the live cd thing.. i have the iso file downloading right now... for a live cd it sure is small... it has 8 minutes left on the download i should post in around 40 minutes if it worked if i had problems and so on...

FoxyMX
10-07-2005, 04:26 PM
I have successfully re-partitioned one of my drives using the partitioner that comes with Knoppix, the live Linux CD. The hard drive did not, however, contain my main Windows installation or data so I was not too worried about things going wrong.

Either of the suggestions made above by Jen or Chilling Silence should do the job for you but there is always the risk of losing data if things go wrong so be sure that you backup data that you don't want to lose.

If you are that concerned about the risk then fork out the dosh and pay for Partition Magic as that has a reputation for being the easiest and most reliable partitioner.

CorbinH
10-07-2005, 05:39 PM
yeah i think im just either gonna just forget about partitioning or buy a program... lol this has turned out to be more trouble than i thought it would be so i think i might jut forget about it...

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Nothing wrong with the free stuff thou, works just as well and IMHO sometimes better!

Poppa John
10-07-2005, 09:03 PM
On the question of Defragging, as I understand it.White is the background. Blue are "Good" files, Red are bits of files that are in the wrong place. The Blue is juggled around to allow the displaced red bits "To go home". That leaves some Green bars. These are the Immovable files, Yes?. The "SystemFiles". How can you move these around. For instance, right to the beginning of the blue band. Thanks PJ

PS Thanks for the use of your thread. pj

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2005, 11:02 PM
IIRC, Green is good files that are where they should be. Blue is files that could/should be moved. Red is files that are currently in use and cant be moved.

Booting in Safe Mode eliminates most red lines :)

FoxyMX
11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
IIRC, Green is good files that are where they should be. Blue is files that could/should be moved. Red is files that are currently in use and cant be moved.

Booting in Safe Mode eliminates most red lines :)
Chill, please don't talk such utter rubbish, you are WAY out. I am disgusted! :eek:

Red are fragmented files and need to be moved.

Blue are contiguous files and are good, as long as they are all together and not all over the graph.

Green are unmovable files and may be shifted by disabling the page file and defragging in safe mode.

White is free space and good.

FoxyMX
11-07-2005, 09:18 AM
yeah i think im just either gonna just forget about partitioning or buy a program... lol this has turned out to be more trouble than i thought it would be so i think i might jut forget about it...
Corbin, instead of buying Partition Magic you would be better off buying a copy of Norton Ghost. You could then Ghost your hard drive to your other computer's hard drive, partition and format your required number of partitions on your new computer then restore your ghosted image back to your newly created first partition on the new computer. Then you will be able to move your data files to another partition/s or as required.

The bonus is that you can also use Ghost to back up your hard drive or partitions and thus get your money's worth out of it far more than you would with Partition Magic, which probably won't get used that much.

Jen
11-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Chill, please don't talk such utter rubbish, you are WAY out. I am disgusted! :eek:The acronym IIRC that Chill used in his statement, stands for If I Recall Correctly. So, he recalled it incorrectly. He was trying to be helpful, no need to be disgusted at that.

FoxyMX's suggestion to get Ghost instead is a good one. However, that free SystemRescue CD QTParted is easy to use and would of done the job for you. You can find some screenshots and documentation for QTParted here (http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.en.html) if you are still interested. :)

CorbinH
11-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Does anyone here know how much Norton Ghost is??? (in the U.S.) lol if its too expensive i might just forget about partitioning i dont really need to partition that bad anyways... also how much is partition magic???

Jen
11-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Seeing as you are from the States, it would be best if you check out your local online computer shops or electrical good shops that also sell software and see what the price is.

Amazon sells Nortons Ghost and Partition Magic bundled together - See here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002V87EI/qid=1121068514/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-6240526-9360839?v=glance&s=software)

paradox
11-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Jen...Early this year I tried to buy Ghost from Amazon and after getting locked up in the shopping cart umteen times finally found a link that told me that they are unable to sell software to overseas buyers.

Can you tell me if that has changed since my efforts to purchase Ghost or was there a ghost at the end of that link?

Cheers Ken :)

Jen
11-07-2005, 11:34 PM
You can buy Norton Ghost from many places in NZ. Check out DSE. :)

CorbinH
12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
i finally partitioned my hd lol one of my friends let me borrow his partition magic cd so well... i finnally got it partitioned... one problem though my comp is media center addition and when i go to the media center thing some of the options are missing in fact all of the options but three could htis have anything to do with files being messed up when i recently partitioned my hd?????? the 3 options i have are my pictures more program and settings.... how can i fix this??????