PDA

View Full Version : Problem with I.E. intruding

oldun
03-07-2005, 03:13 PM
:mad: My O.S. is XP Prof. and my Preferred Browser is Opera (ver 8.01)
I have set up things to always to default to Opera NOT I.E.
Mostly this works ok, but some times when I wish to download a file from a server instead of Opera opening in its transfer page which is what I wish. I.E. will pop up and start to download, this is not what I want! the only time I wish to see the I.E. start up is when I click on to its icon ( which is very rare,mainly to check on my web pages so I can check that those wanting to use I.E. can see them as I wish.) :thumbs:

mark c
03-07-2005, 06:01 PM
I think some downloads just are written so that they open in IE. Downloading stuff from Zonelabs does. The PCWorld discs do also. I think it's something you have live with.....Bit vague but......m

If you've set all your permissions in Opera and file types to deal with and set it as default browser even some will override this.

mzee
03-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Go to preferences (Opera)/ network/ browser identification/ Identify as MSIE 6.0

This may help.

SurferJoe46
04-07-2005, 05:41 AM
I don't know about Opera, but Firefox really hangs on to it's default browser status well. I haven't had anything do a switch on me while I use FF.

I let FF check to see if it's the default browser (little check box there) and so far, the ONLY thing I need IE for is Windows or Micro$oft Updates or Catalog area.

This may be one more reason why I won't bother to try Opera..if it's confused whether it is the browser or not....hmmmmmmmmmm :confused:

oldun
04-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks Joe,
Yes I have set Opera up the same with roughly the same performance.
Perhaps I did not explain myself clearly.
Some sites pages seem to have been coded to get around this function and to start up I.E. in spite of the settings and whats more they start to down load automaticly.
I would mind so much but if one has the download stopped for whatever reason part way through, then it has to be restarted right from the begining again whereas with Opera it will pick up the download from the point where it was stopped.
Ok re your comments about Fire fox, I did download and try it out, but I have been spoilt with Opera and decided after a good test of Fire Fox to continue with Opera.
oldun

oldun
04-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi MZEE,
That is my normal setting.
Thank you,
oldun

SurferJoe46
04-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I had gotten FF a few years ago...there may have been a few bugs then, but I kept it alive and now with the latest version, I use it for EVERYTHING!

The thing I like about FF is that it is as simple or as complicate as you like it. It looks whimpy at first, but after cruising around on it one finds all sorts of embellishments to use and run.

I use the ToolBar Bookmarks to get the links I need to use the most, up front.

I got a few different skins, added SAGE, Downloads and Print commmands, and added a few more search engines to that area.

Running streaming data (radio podcasts and vidcasts) is easy in FF, as is getting multiple tabs set up too.

All in all, I just like FF so much better than IE.

I vote for Google to get the greater share of the world's searching and url hunting/surfing. Simple is better! I've had it with all the "gadgets" I had in AOL and the invasion I had to remove for days as I kept on finding places that AOL had gotten into. Not knowing about Opera at all, I wonder if it too is that invasive?

Greven
04-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Opera is not invasive at all. It is a really good browser, but I chose firefox because it is so much easier to block ads with the adblock extension.

mzee
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
One of the reasons I like Opera is that "Z" takes you back to the exact place which you came from. very useful when looking at lists in Trade-me etc.