PDA

View Full Version : A few minor Linux questions

Myth
03-07-2005, 12:02 AM
OK... can I make another file browser the default in KDE; as Konqueror keeps crashing
Is Nautilus accessible in KDE (I know its a Gnome file Browser but can it be used in KDE)?
I notice when I click log out, KDE goes to some lame dialog where you have to click another button to get to the logon screen so you can either reboot, log on as another account, or shutdown. Can I do something similar to Gnome which when you press log off, it comes up with an option screen; where you can either reboot, shutdown, or lon in as another user?

There may be more questions yet.....

Myth
03-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Bump :|

Jen
03-07-2005, 08:44 PM
OK... can I make another file browser the default in KDE; as Konqueror keeps crashingYes. Haven't ever looked into it, but Xandros uses its own file manager in KDE for example. Hit google and see what you can find that might be suitable.

Is Nautilus accessible in KDE (I know its a Gnome file Browser but can it be used in KDE)?Yes. You can launch it from the "run command" by entering in nautilus.

I notice when I click log out, KDE goes to some lame dialog where you have to click another button to get to the logon screen so you can either reboot, log on as another account, or shutdown. Can I do something similar to Gnome which when you press log off, it comes up with an option screen; where you can either reboot, shutdown, or lon in as another user?Strange. In KDE I go straight to a dialog box which gives me shutdown, restart or log on another user. Not sure what the dialog box app is called, but it has a dragon image on it.

Greven
03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
In KDE I go straight to a dialog box which gives me shutdown, restart or log on another user. Not sure what the dialog box app is called, but it has a dragon image on it.
Good old Mandrake. it has a lot of helpful things like that. There should be a way to enable something similar in most distros - it strikes me as the kind of feature that lots of people would want.
I haven't touched Fedora since Core 1 so it might have improved, but I dropped it when I discovered that all those little things you don't think about (that most the "newbie" distros include, but Fedora doesn't) actually make a big difference.

Jen
03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Good old Mandrake. it has a lot of helpful things like that. There should be a way to enable something similar in most distros - it strikes me as the kind of feature that lots of people would want.
I haven't touched Fedora since Core 1 so it might have improved, but I dropped it when I discovered that all those little things you don't think about (that most the "newbie" distros include, but Fedora doesn't) actually make a big difference.What I was meaning, is that I also use Core 4 so what works for me should work for Mythix. :)

Myth
03-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Strange. In KDE I go straight to a dialog box which gives me shutdown, restart or log on another user. Not sure what the dialog box app is called, but it has a dragon image on it.You mean the dragon lying on the moon. Yeah I have that dialog too, but it only gives me the option to log out, not shutdown. In order to shutdown I have to click that button which takes me back to the sign in screen.

Greven
03-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Does linux require root privilages to shutdown by default? In the kind of enviroment Linux was designed for, you wouldn't want any old account to be able to shut down the computer.

Jen
03-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Just checked out my settings, and under KControl > KDE components > Session Manager I have selected to allow "Offer shutdown options". Try this and see if that changes your options.

Does linux require root privilages to shutdown by default? In the kind of enviroment Linux was designed for, you wouldn't want any old account to be able to shut down the computer.These are desktop installations. By default users can shutdown the system from runlevel 5. This can of course be disabled or limited to certain users for the sort of systems where you don't want users to shutdown the computer.

personthingy
04-07-2005, 03:00 AM
Just checked out my settings, and under KControl > KDE components > Session Manager I have selected to allow "Offer shutdown options". Try this and see if that changes your options.

These are desktop installations. By default users can shutdown the system from runlevel 5. This can of course be disabled or limited to certain users for the sort of systems where you don't want users to shutdown the computer.You may have to be logged in as root to make these changes. ;)

Myth
04-07-2005, 08:26 AM

These are desktop installations. By default users can shutdown the system from runlevel 5. This can of course be disabled or limited to certain users for the sort of systems where you don't want users to shutdown the computer.I have just checked that out again... its set the same as mine, I have confirm logout ticked as well.
Even as root its the same (one option in the dialog)

Jen
04-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Got it sorted. You need to be using kdm instead of gdm as the display manager. Two seconds in google found this: - Shutdown/logoff/reboot (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=280480). :)

Myth
04-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Got it sorted. You need to be using kdm instead of gdm as the display manager. Two seconds in google found this: - Shutdown/logoff/reboot (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=280480). :)
:blush: Thx Jen, normally Google is the first place I go if I can't solve something.
Will Google any other issues :)

personthingy
04-07-2005, 10:30 AM
:blush: ..... normally Google is the first place I go if I can't solve something.
Will Google any other issues :)But if you don't post here, how will others learn from your experiances? :confused:

Jen
04-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Will Google any other issues :)Hope my google comment didn't come across wrong. As personthingy mentions, sharing issues and asking questions locally first often gets the solution. I spent a while digging around my system trying to work out why your session manager was different to mine, when a quick google for me showed the problem to be gdm vs kdm. I learnt something as well. :)

Post back with your alternative Konqueror file manager findings, as this could be interesting to others.

Myth
04-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Hope my google comment didn't come across wrong. As personthingy mentions, sharing issues and asking questions locally first often gets the solution. I spent a while digging around my system trying to work out why your session manager was different to mine, when a quick google for me showed the problem to be gdm vs kdm. I learnt something as well. :)

Post back with your alternative Konqueror file manager findings, as this could be interesting to others.Nuh its all good Jen :)

I have enquired at fedoraforum (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/) about the error I am getting with Konqueror and any help/advice with changing file manager.... so far no reply :(

In case you are wondering, here is the error:

The application Konqueror (konqueror) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).

I can reproduce it by opening a couple of instances of Konqueror at once or opening one instance immediately after another instance has shut down. It usually happens when I open system (shortcut on desktop) and then click on any one of the other shortcuts (eg Remote Places)

On a side note: is there no supported download for Macromedia Shockplayer for Linux?
I have Flashplayer, but a site I went to tonight said I had a missing plugin for Firefox

personthingy
04-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Nuh its all good Jen :)

I have enquired at fedoraforum (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/) about the error I am getting with Konqueror and any help/advice with changing file manager.... so far no reply :(

On a side note: is there no supported download for Macromedia Shockplayer for Linux?
I have Flashplayer, but a site I went to tonight said I had a missing plugin for FirefoxCan't say i've had too much luck with fedora forum either... maybe others have, but not me.

As for flash stuff... you running FC3 or 4?
MEPIS came with all that as part of the distro, i would have expected FC4 to be the same.

Myth
04-07-2005, 09:25 PM
FC4 :)

personthingy
04-07-2005, 09:51 PM
FC4 :)
There is a linux - flash - plug in thing.
Mine was preinstalled.
I'd be tempted to just upgrade firefox in total. Hopefully this will also upgrade the plugins. Its unlikely to hurt.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/upgrade/

Myth
04-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Not Flashplayer ... shockplayer.
I have flashplayer already

personthingy
04-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Not Flashplayer ... shockplayer.
I have flashplayer alreadyD'oh
i have a tendancy to confuse the 2...

However, same advice, i'd go with the latest firefox, and see how that helps

heres the plugin page, "shockwave - linux" is notable by its absence :(
https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/

personthingy
04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
CrossOver Office allows you to run Windows browser plugins on the Linux OS, using Wine.

Supported plugins include Macromedia Shockwave, Windows Media Player and QuickTime. Please see the supported plugins list for more details.

CrossOver Office is commercial software, costing $39.95 (US) to download the Standard Edition, $74.95 (US) to download the Professional Edition, or $84.95 (US) plus shipping for the Professional Edition on CD. There is a demo version available for download . It is fully supported with Mozilla 1.x. At the time of writing, the latest version of CrossOver Office is 4.2.0.

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html

Myth
05-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Hmm, for the amout of times I will use shockwave player its not really worth it
Thanx anyway :)

Final question.... when Fedora is shutting down I get an NFS Locked [failed] during the shutdown sequence.
Im not too worried about it (as everything runs fine) I was just wondering whats failing (so I can fix it hopefully)

Jen
05-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Final question.... when Fedora is shutting down I get an NFS Locked [failed] during the shutdown sequence.
Im not too worried about it (as everything runs fine) I was just wondering whats failing (so I can fix it hopefully)NFS is the Network File System protocol. This is used to share files between or over a Linux (non-Windows) network. As your machine is the single Linux machine on the network you do not need this service running.

Open a terminal window as root and enter in:

chkconfig --list

You should see listed these two items: nfs and nftlock. You will also see what runlevels they are ON at, so you will need to switch it off for each on level. The syntax for this is:

chkconfig --[levels] [service] [on/off/reset]

Eg: chkconfig --345 nfs off

Myth
05-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Thanx Jen :D

Thought of another question... now that I have Linux working ok, can I use Nortons Ghost to ghost my Linux partition?

Jen
05-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes you can, if you have a recent version of Ghost. Never tried this myself though. You can find more information here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999021909463125?Open&src=&docid=2000033111503625&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=). There is also an open source clone of Ghost which looks promising - Ghost for Linux (http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/)

Chilling_Silence
05-07-2005, 10:50 PM
partimage

I need not say more!

Myth
06-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Yes you do :p

How good is partimage? Any issues? << these are the big 2 questions

Is it easy to use like Ghost or do I have to do a crash course in C++? Not so important as I have just read some info on it, seems ok but still looking for your input :)

The Ghost for linux site you posted Jen, do you know if anyone has used it, how did they find it? Issues?