PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME! I"ll buy you a cookie! What laptop should I buy?

noodlehead
02-07-2005, 10:12 PM
I am finally getting down to the nitty gritty deal of purchasing a laptop. I've been looking at a HP Pavillion dc1134AP or maybe a Dell 700 or Dell 510 series. I am not able to spend alot on it but I do want bluetooth and infrared which the HP provides. Both are also pentiums which is great but I dont know!! Does anyone have any advice on what is good to buy lately in laptops that are under the price of $2100??? :xmouth:

Elephant
02-07-2005, 10:42 PM
I am finally getting down to the nitty gritty deal of purchasing a laptop. I've been looking at a HP Pavillion dc1134AP or maybe a Dell 700 or Dell 510 series. I am not able to spend alot on it but I do want bluetooth and infrared which the HP provides. Both are also pentiums which is great but I dont know!! Does anyone have any advice on what is good to buy lately in laptops that are under the price of $2100??? http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/xmouth.gif

Welcome to PressF1.

If I was thinking of buying a Laptop I would think of one from Dick Smith in New Zealand for about $1200 NZ dollars and maybe use a version of Linux as the operating system.

Are you in the United States?

Rob99
03-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Buy an ASUS, DSE have them.

vinref
03-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Narrow down your choice with the following: best warranty (esp. one that covers the battery and screen the longest); best standards (CPU, disk size, ram amount, vid card, sound); best software & related (XP Home vs XP Pro, MS Office vs MS Works etc, free security software, full documentation and PIDs and serial numbers, recovery disks etc); best fruit (DVD-burner, bluetooth, IR, wireless etc). After all that, when you finally get to look at the thing, check for scratches, cracks etc; check for dead pixels; see how heavy it is; haggle for a free case; get the sales assistant to show you how to use it.

Standing_Amazed
03-07-2005, 04:48 AM
About 2 months ago I bought an Acer 3002WLMi Notebook for $1447. For the price it is an amazing laptop.

pctek
03-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Narrow down your choice with the following: best warranty (esp. one that covers the battery and screen the longest); best standards (CPU, disk size, ram amount, vid card, sound); best software & related (XP Home vs XP Pro, MS Office vs MS Works etc, free security software, full documentation and PIDs and serial numbers, recovery disks etc); best fruit (DVD-burner, bluetooth, IR, wireless etc). After all that, when you finally get to look at the thing, check for scratches, cracks etc; check for dead pixels; see how heavy it is; haggle for a free case; get the sales assistant to show you how to use it.
Sensible advice. I admit to a preference for ASUS though - and Sony although that would be expensive. As for the sales assistant bit - depending where you go that may be a bit tricky...
I would avoid HP.

theother1
03-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Why don't you look on trade me and concentrate your search on Asus laptops.
I recently bought my wife one at about half retail and it still has 18 months of the 2 year world wide warrantee left.
I know that it is nerve wracking spending the money when you don't know the trader, but by being careful and choosing a trader who has been around a while, and using safe trader you can get some good deals. Safe Trader hoilds your money until both parties have completed their parts and both are happy.

noodlehead
03-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Welcome to PressF1.

If I was thinking of buying a Laptop I would think of one from Dick Smith in New Zealand for about $1200 NZ dollars and maybe use a version of Linux as the operating system.

Are you in the United States?

No, I'm in NZ...Mm...not really familiar with linux. Thats going to be another thing to learn on my 'to learn' list me thinks!

noodlehead
03-07-2005, 11:49 AM
What is wrong with HP's? I'm liking the one I saw because it has bluetooth and infrared. I work in the cellphone industry and I'll be using them to connect and synchronise with my cellphones. Also, memory will be a big thing as I intend to store lotsa music on it!
I'm abit weary of Acers and Asus cos I don't hear much of them? Are they better than say a sony laptop or a dell??

Greg
03-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Buy an ASUS.
Ditto. They're great! Very good documentation, real real warranty, great range to choose from, great features, and excellent pricing.

memory will be a big thing as I intend to store lotsa music on it

You'd be referring to hard drive space... 40 - 60 gigs is about normal these days for a laptop, but for the price you're prepared to pay you'll definitly get a dvd burner, which you can use to make lots of mega storage disks!

theother1
03-07-2005, 07:51 PM
your new asus laptop will have all the wireless and plugged connectivity you can possible need.
Mine has wireless, infrared, 5 usb ports, firewire, various memory stick connections, Plus a DVD writer. etcetera, etcetera.
Why look further.
Listen to what the people say

quarry
03-07-2005, 10:22 PM
some of you are recommend asus - however, there's one point that may be a problem - their warranty & service. one of clients bought one from dick smith. however the screen has gone, neither wants to know. asus will not return any calls - you only get an answer m/c. this has been going on for weeks & i told him just return it to the shop. buyer beware. another client bought one cos they told him it was upgradeable - 6 mths later - it was near impossible to get the parts anymore.
i recommend acer, as there are numerous agencies you can go direct for service, there is a 2 hr turnaround for minor problems.
avoid toshiba - their quality has gone down the tube just to be cheap enough for warehouse stationery - i have had to replace the internal modem for proper card modems for numerous clients.

Metla
03-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Hmmm....Every phone call I have made to Asus has been answered by a real live person, all warrenty work has had a prompt turn around, And Asus have strict quality control.

Sure they were ringing the correct number, Is the machine still in its Warrenty period?

No idea where you going with the upgrade angle, The only possible internal upgrade is the ram and harddrive, And sourcing those 2 items is no issue.This applies to all laptops bar 1 or 2 very rare models from a couple of manufacturers.

As for Dick Smith, Why buy there? They generally have their own range of lesser specced machines in order to look cost effective.

Rob99
03-07-2005, 11:27 PM
I have helped DSE sell 3 of these (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42c7bc560c1ddfd2273fc0a87f990759/Product/View/XC3579) , if that didnt work just search for XC3579

Metla
03-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Nice looking unit.

Rob99
03-07-2005, 11:34 PM
I know, if I had the $$ i'd probally get one.

Greg
04-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Hmmm....Every phone call I have made to Asus has been answered by a real live person
Same here. Although I only had one issue, they answered quick, offered to courier a replacement part soon as I sent them the faulty one (battery) and optionaly invited me to drop it off and replace immediately.